Lost in the Fog

These two images were both taken at Carmen-on-the-beach on a very foggy morning a couple of weeks ago.
I have found the processing of the images challenging in regards to finding the right exposure level and also how much detail to reveal. I wanted to reveal enough detail to draw the viewer in, but not too much that they lost the misty feel that drew me to shoot them in the first place.
The first shot is looking out towards the breaking wave with the main subject being the rock outcrops.
In the second shot I was trying to compose the ‘zig-zag’ lines of the deeper water cutting back through the sand, the white line of the breaking waves and the dark shadow of the peninsular beyond.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All feedback is welcome - I was struggling to find the right balance to the exposure.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6300
75mm
iso 100
6 - 8 second exposure
f 11

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Joseph,

Wonderful conditions - and challenging as you mention.

I’ll start with the second image which I think is fantastic! Simple is almost always good and this is a great example. The softness throughout really enhances that simplicity and I like the simple anchor of the rocks in the surf. The subtle color in the soft rolling wave contrasts nicely tones and layers on the beach. Barely any detail - but then that’s the point and I think you’ve succeeded beautifully with this image. Look’s like there’s one small stone or something on the beach - I’m torn as to whether or not that should be cloned. It’s almost an asset? Also, looks like some washed out footprints near the bottom? Also, an asset I think adding that hint of fine detail. The more I look at this one, the more I love it.

Ok, so the first image works well in the conditions too, but not as strong as the second. At least for me. You mention the rock outcroppings as the main subject, but are those the ones on the far left or across the water? Either case, I find the rocks on the left to be a bit of an eye magnet and pulling away from the lines and diagonals of the surf and beach. for me, the line of the surf and the water on the beach is the main story. If it were me, I might be inclined to clone out the rocks on the left and crop slightly top and bottom to accentuate those lines even further. But that may not be your vision - since you were there. This one is growing on me too.

The softness of both really takes advantage of the conditions you had. Well done.

Lon

I love this kind of image, Joseph, and I feel you’ve done a very sensitive job in both cases. I do prefer the second image, with a clear horizontal marked by the rocks. The first image seems slightly to fall to the right and the three separate features running across the frame ( the green, the white and the grey ) don’t work quite as well for me. The extra simplicity of the second is its great strength think.

This is a great pair of images! I am a fan of minimalist compositions, so I’ll admit some bias from the start. I prefer the second, and I after some study it’s because: 1) there is a distinct subject, 2) therefore the viewer’s eye has something to rest upon. With the first image the eye seems to wonder a bit. Regardless, I love these images. Good work!

I appreciate all the feedback.
As a newbie, often it is difficult to ‘calibrate’ my ideas.
I am drawn to minimalist compositions, but I take away from your comments above that even with minimalism (and maybe more so?) a clear subject is required. The rocks in the second image draw you right is and contrast sharply with the softness of the rest of the image. The first image suffers from a lack of a clear subject…
Ian, I can confirm that there was a very small fall to the right…good eyes, I didn’t even notice!
Thanks again,
Joseph