Loveland Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All CC Welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All CC welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D850 Nikon 70-200mm f13 1/30 sec ISO 200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@The_Elevated_Exposure

Welcome Alisa! Thanks for jumping into the “mosh pit;” hopefully you find it as beneficial as I have over the years.

Lovely color in your image. It’s probably just the way the brain remembers the good times, but when I was in veterinary school at CSU I remember the sunsets over the Rockies could be amazing; you’ve really captured that here.

I wouldn’t hesitate to clone out the lights in your bottom layer. The bright points at the edge tend to drag the eye away from the better parts of the image.

The central and left parts of the sky are the most attractive for me. I’d also be tempted to crop the image to focus on those. For example, a 3:2 ratio that moves Longs Peak right of center.

I look forward to more of your pictures!

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Alisa, and thank you for sharing this image with us. I think you find a lot of folks here interested in offering constructive comments and suggestions. You have some really neat looking clouds in this scene, and I like that you did not overdo the sky contrast and colors, it allows the interesting shapes of the cloud sot be appreciated better. I also like how you use the cloud at the top as a framing element, it is very effective.

My only suggestion would be to clone away the bright lights in the foreground, it will help keep the viewers eye in the center of the image.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advices! I have been on this network since last year and I haven’t ever posted on here in fear of not being good enough because I have seen the work of the creators of NPN and it’s amazing.

Thank you Ed for the advice! And thank you for the warm welcome! I hope to network with some fellow Coloradans!

I’m glad you decided to post. What you don’t see is where the creators started their journey, only where they are now. I’ve lost/deleted my first post on NPN from way back when; let’s just say that’s probably a good thing. In my experience, NPN is much more about a desire to improve your photography, regardless of whether you are a beginner or a veteran. It’s about the journey, not the arrival. Welcome aboard and keep the posts coming!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the response! I will definitely keep posing.

Alisa, glad to see you decided to post. As John says, on this web site the emphasis is on learning. This is a fine first post of a lovely Front Range sunset. The sky is outstanding and the multiple mountain ridges add a good sense of context. Searching for a spot where you’re a little higher would be interesting as that might let you avoid the buildings along the bottom and it would let the various ridges occupy more of the frame…a very different view from this one, but those kinds of choices are built into any good photograph.

First off welcome to NPN, Alisa. This is a lovely first post with some gorgeous color and outstanding drama in the sky. I agree with @John_Williams and @Ed_McGuirk’s suggestion for cloning out the FG lights. I think you will find the NPN group of photographers to be very welcoming and willing to share their thoughts and expertise with others. Don’t be shy about posting images or comments and enjoy the journey.

From the image you posted here, I would say your worries were unfounded, it’s a fine shot.

And don’t feel shy to read and comment on the posts by others. Doing this is also a great way to learn, and also to become part of our community. Critique is about way more than the technical stuff. So even if you don’t feel fully qualified to comment on technical stuff, there are also the following things to discuss, and everybodies opinion and thoughts are important in regard to these other factors (see below)

Technical Feedback - What is done well, and what could use improvement? Why?
Emotional Response - Why does it create a response for you, or why doesn't it?
Visual Impact - Why does it create an impact on you, or why not?
Artistic Vision/Creativity - Does it feel creative to you? If not, how could that be achieved?
1 Like

Welcome Alisa! So glad you made the call to post your first image. I’m sure now that the ice is broken you won’t be hesitant any more!

What a beautiful and I’d even say glorious sunset sky. I don’t know anyone who just doesn’t get excited with a beautiful sky; The time of day too, the transition beginning from day to night.

Processing looks great; colors, etc. excellent. I also think you’ve provided a nice anchor with the landscape and mountain peaks. Just enough at the bottom. Of course I’m guessing you were trying to avoid those distractions on the ground. Already been commented on, but will just echo the suggestion of cloning out the brighter “eye magnets” on the bottom edge; most especially the on in the middle. No need to go crazy and black out the entire bottom (and I wouldn’t crop) but just a little spot cloning will be an easy clean up.

A beautiful first post and we welcome you and encourage your participation!

Lon

1 Like

Welcome aboard Alisa. This is a fine shot. May I offer an alternative crop IMHO

1 Like

This is a beautiful shot and I love the layers of hills and mountains. The sky of course is very striking as well. I will say though, that I quite like Michael Lowe’s crop.

1 Like

Thank you all for the warm welcome an all the recommendations! I will go back and look at the image again.

Alisa: Wanted to visit this image after seeing your post in macro. Wonderful sky and just the right amount of landform in the FG. The layering of the hills and mountains is really good. Great to have you aboard and I’m another one that hopes you will post more. Also be sure to comment on others’ images. Don’t feel unqualified. One thing that helped my growth was commenting on a lot of images. It forced me to look carefully and by observing the successes and not so successes of other images I discovered a lot of things to emulate and a lot to avoid. You’re off to a great start. >=))>