Madrone hand-eye coordination

B&W edit

Edit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking on the beach, I spied on a rock.

Specific Feedback

Overall response? Technical suggestions? Does the OOF foreground frame work for you?

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP + RF 24-70 @ 24 mm
1/40 s, f/8, ISO 1000

Cathy,
Kudos for thinking outside the box, but for my personal tastes the red OOF object is a bit jarring. I think if it was not red I might feel differently as it does look like an eye. This is just my opinion of course and keep on experimenting.

1 Like

Interesting sighting. I’m with Ed, though. Red is so strong in an image, and having it be OOF here is jarring.

1 Like

Interesting!! I also wonder about the red – the color calls attention to it being OOF. Have you tried desaturating it? (Maybe just red/yellow, and keep the hint of cool color in the rock and sand.)

@Ed_Lowe @Bonnie_Lampley Thanks for your honest feedback! I love it that you don’t love and especially that you tell me! It was indeed an experiment and I wondered what people would think. I still like it myself, but admittedly largely in the context of having found it.

@Diane_Miller thanks for the suggestion to desaturate the red, which I did in the edited version I just posted. I think it is closer to the true color of the madrone bark now.

I wonder if this image would be better in the abstract category?

Love your creativity with this one Cathy. For me, I do wish the foreground was in focus as well, but the desaturation definitely helps.

1 Like

Well this sure is interesting! What a unique find. I wonder if flipping it into black and white would provide a better dreamer for the image. Then you could have a smooth dark branch I’m assuming surrounding the more textured rocks. Eliminating the pull of the red. Now. If you shot it because you just love the red then disregard and enjoy what you’ve got!

@John_Williams Yeah, it would definitely be easier to read with the foreground in focus. Do you think more detail in the foreground would detract from the framing and eye effect though? Wish I had captured more images so I could play with focus stacking.

@David_Wallace Thanks for the idea to try B&W. I posted an edit. Not sure I made the branch quite dark enough but removing the red does emphasize the textural contrast, as you said. I think I prefer the color version in part because I think the jarring red-blue color contrast contributes to the surreal and disorienting feeling. My intent was just a weird playful shot, hopefully somewhat funny.