Majestic South

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This incredible gravel road lined with ageless Oak Trees is located at the Wormsloe Plantation just outside Savannah, Georgia. It was a trill visiting the Historic Plantation and transporting myself back to a time when life was simple. I was elated to get my 24-70 lens on my camera, attach it to my tripod and shoot every possible angle. I really like this picture, which is the view standing up. To me, it’s the only shot you need to absorb the beauty of Wormsloe.

Specific Feedback

Anything you would have done differently and why.

Technical Details

ISO-400, f11, 70mm, .5sec

2 Likes

Hi Mozzam, :slight_smile:

I visited this place a number of years ago and this image does a great job of jogging my memory of it.
It’s an iconic place with lots of stories and is a great piece of history in my view.

The image is excellent in many ways, I really like the mix of cool and warm tones as well as the shape of the canopy tunnel.
It’s interesting how these trees were held in place by ropes so they would grow in a way that would form the tunnel, according to the articles I’ve read, that process took many years and fortunately periodic storms from the Atlantic haven’t caused too much damage over the years.

I really like the perspective you chose for this image and overall, the image stands very well as presented, however, I do feel the the harsh light at the end acts as a visual block or barricade of sorts.
I feel like doing a little cloning at the far end would help with drawing the viewer into the scene and maybe even make the viewer wonder more about what’s beyond that point.
I also feel that the light streaks across the road act as a stopping point for the viewer so I would be tempted to clone that out as well as the minor holes in the canopy where the sky is visible.

In reality, these are minor edits but I can’t help but feel that they would help more than they hurt, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I wanted to do the edits I mentioned before commenting just to see if my thoughts were valid (to see if my ideas would work as well as I thought they might).

I hope you don’t mind the edit example I’ve provided below.
Anyway, it’s just my thoughts for possible improvement, it’s all up to you of course :slight_smile:

Again, wonderful image and thanks for the memory jog!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mozzam!

You know I have seen this image before and that I find it absolutely glorious! The reason why I jumped in here again is what Mervin said:

This for me is active proof of how we all respond to images differently and how every feedback expressed is really subjective and can always only express an opinion.

For me the darkened end in Mervin’s version feels like a wall. A stopping point, the end of the road. In the original there is open space, not just a white blob. There is something in this white area. There is something in the light that makes me want to walk this road right to the end, to see what’s there. It’s what gives the image depth.

The same holds for these streaks of light where the sun comes through. For me they are like stepping stones that lead me into the scene, make me hop from one to the the other until I reach the end of the road - or discover that it goes on forever.

I agree with the suggestion of maybe cloning out that one bright patch to the left where there is a bigger hole in the canopy.

But whatever you decide - it’s a glorious image!

I love the image, Mozzam, and it turns what must be a majestic sight in reality into a magical scene, pulling me forward towards the light. Like Astrid, I love the light at the end. That’s where I’m heading, that must be where heaven is.
The cool greens on the right and warm greens on the left give it a jewel-like quality. There’s a bright patch of light at the top left that does pull me out of the scene, you might consider taking that out.
All in all, just a glorious image!

It is a great image. I like the “light at the end of the tunnel”. I would even want to build on that theme. Since your eye is drawn to the lightest parts of the photo, I would darken the edges of your photo, especially the top bright area, and brighten the centre area to lead you to the light. I think that might add more of a 3d depth and draw your eye into the photo to the light at the end. Great photo though.

1 Like

Holy cow!! What an amazing set of tree’s and you captured them awesomely! Nothing about this photograph bothers me…I love it. I would love to drive down that road/drive. The first thing I noticed was it seemed a little blue, but that could be the type of trees they are, I do not know. But, overall, I just love this scene you captured.

Many thanks to @Judi_Hastings @Astrid_Preisz @Merv @Kathryn_Garlick and @Madeleine_Lenagh for taking the time to share your opinion. I can see each of your points and would go back and incorporate your suggestions. I do like the light at the end of the road, maybe turn down a tad and also the small opening in the URH. I do like the streaks of light across the road. It’s my guide to continue on. Thank you again.

2 Likes

All I can think of is - Run, Forrest, Run!

Love your image.

Thank you Igor.