Male Box Turtle, head shot

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This male box turtle (red eyes are the give away) was lurking in our front garden last Sept. He was kind enough not to hide as I moved in close for this head shot.

Technical Details

R5, 180 mm macro, 1/10 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod and 2 s timer.

Mark: Cool not often photographed subject. Love the colors in the head and eye especially and the BG is a nice complement. Seems like he’s auditioning for a modeling career. Top notch. >=))>

Yikes, this is one of those “Godzilla” moments… :laughing:
Mark, excellent profile of this young fella who has probably a Jurassic history of ancestors in the past. The detail is stunning on this closeup view… :+1:

Great profile portrait of this beauty, Mark. The detail and depth of field are perfect. I wouldn’t mind seeing just a slice more canvas on the right, but that’s extremely minor. Great job managing to get this close to it.

Mark, he sure gave you the neck stretch pose, which is very nice. I also like how you got down to his level, and with his head held high, we are actually looking up at his eye, which is an unusual perspective. I like this.

A nice portrait of this box turtle. Colors are good and I like the crisp focus on the subject. I would edit out the semi-circular OOF grass in the lower RH side of the image as it catches my eye. Otherwise, a very nice shot of one of my favorite animals…Jim