Male Red Fox

I spread birdseed on this rock for the ground feeding birds. This, of course also attracts squirrels. The foxes have learned this, and they have made repeated efforts to catch squirrels on that rock. They lurk behind a bush and make their charge - unsuccessfully that I have seen, so far. They then stand looking around as if to say, “I can’t BELIEVE I didn’t catch one!” I caught this fox in just such a pose.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 300mm, f/8, 1/125, ISO 3200, Hand Held

Hi,

The fox is nice and sharp and the comp is fine. To make a more interesting comp is get your camera and low to the ground as possible. It provides the viewer with a fox eye view of this guy. Sound like these foxes will be available for some future shots. Well done…Jim

2 Likes

Howdy, Jim. Thank you very much. I will try to get low for some shots, but these guys are really spooky. Might need to consider a blind of some sort.

1 Like

A great pose and the fox is nice and sharp, Terry. For my taste, the fox seems just a bit centered, but the head turn makes it work pretty well. A blind is a great asset for birds and wildlife and they don’t need to be very fancy. A cheap tent with some surgery to the windows works fine or the hunting blinds are relatively inexpensive, though most of them aren’t designed for getting very low. The only true photography blinds I’ve found in this country are from Tragopan and they’re well designed but just a touch pricey.

Thanks, Dennis. I centered him because the background on each side of him isn’t that great. I’ve looked at the Trgopan blinds, but they seem like overkill for me and my needs.

Hi Terry !
You already have some very good suggestions from Jim And Dennis, which will help improve your future shoots !
Cheers !

Hi, Jagdeep. Yes, thank you!