Mallard and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was lucky to get the speculum in good focus. Also liked how the color of the reflected leaves complemented the mallard’s head.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 Tx at 700 mm; 1/500 at f10; ISO 6400

Nice posture, Allen, and the colors , sharpness and detail are excellent. The image does not seem to be level however, judging from the water ringlets and reflections. Easy fix, and worth it as for the rest there’s not anything I can think of to improve. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

I love the wing flap and you caught the position beautifully, Allen. I agree with Hans that the image isn’t quite level, but in this case, I’d be hesitant to correct it because it would make the mallard lean forward quite a bit which I think would mess with the impact of the image.

By the way there’s a thin white line on the right edge of the image from cropping (happens to me all the time lately-I think PS changed something in the crop routine so it’s harder to keep it limited to the original edge).

Beautiful details on this wing flapper. The colors and exposure are spot on. I agree that the image is not level but fixing it may actually do more harm than good as @Dennis_Plank points out. Not only will the mallard be leaning forward but the background will be leaning down as well.

Thank you @Hans_Overduin , @Dennis_Plank, and @David_Haynes for your comments and input. I must confess to being challenged when it comes to leveling an image. I can usually see it when it’s pointed out to me, but usually don’t catch it on my own. Something I need to work on. Anyway, here’s a repost with some leveling done. It only seemed to change the mallard slightly and seems natural. The line Dennis noted should be eliminated as well.

1 Like

The repost worked well, Allen. Nice job.

1 Like

The repost seems perfect, @Allen_Brooks !

1 Like

Allen: there’s not much to offer in terms of suggestion for improvement as the image and your processing of it are very well executed.

1 Like