Man conquering the stream

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I loved the shape of the tree branches and how they create a bridge for people to pass under. I also love the reflections and the light leading you deep into the picture and the stream. I don’t like how busy the picture is (and I cropped quite a lot) and feel like I couldn’t get the colors and luminosity right in post processing so feel the picture is not as strong as it could be.

Creative direction

My main draw was the bridge made by the trees and their reflections and the person coming through underneath them. I also wanted to emphasize the feeling of a complete jungle and how out of place that person seemed.

Specific Feedback

I would like feedback both on the composition - if my message came across or the picture is too crowded and noisy and any post processing advice on how to improve it.

Technical Details

It was shot in sony mirrorless camera a6000 24-70 mm lens, f/13, 1/30 sec, iso 100.

Description

This is a shot I took during the pandemic when I was stuck in Israel and had to find local areas to shoot. I love shooting streams and waterfalls but Israelis tend to walk in every stream (not beside it - like “normal people”) which makes it much harder to take pictures (without people). I waited a while to be able to get most of the composition I wanted with few people as my focus was the trees and reflections. Eventually there was just one person who actually fit well with my frame.

Tamar, this is a very bucolic scene. Your composition does a good job of putting me there (sitting in the water… :grinning:). The arch of the tree and his color let the human stand out, which adds to the “being there” feeling. The colors look good, especially the greens. While you could add some saturation to the blues, I think the subtle shift from blue to cloud in near the bottom fits very well the sense of a quiet, peaceful day.

Thank you very much