Ravine stream

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

This was a rare break in the riverside vegetation so I provided backdrop of trees for forest context. I like the fact that the sides of the stream are sharp while the water, softened by exposure, still captures the mood of rapid movement.

Creative direction

Not really. Just recording images I find pleasing that I may one day print and hang on my walls.

Specific Feedback

I would appreciate technical feedback on exposure, focus, post processing and quality for prints.

Technical Details

Sony RX100 6: 0.4 sec; f11; ISO 125; focal length 16,5mm

Description

The steep descent into a ravine in the Knysna forest channelled soundshots of a stream I battled to reach through the thick vegetation. I crashed about through bracken and came to a marshy clearing where a pool of gently swirling, froth-flecked water gathered pace for its next hurtle to the sea via a small rapid fringed by tufted reeds. Boulder hopping took me to this view.

1 Like

Marian, this is a very inviting, intimate look at this stream surrounded by green. You’ve got a good mix of flow and detail in the water. the zig-zag of the stream through the frame adds a fine sense of depth. I suggest two changes; 1) the trees at the toop are hard to separate from the grass, so you might think about cropping those off. Since you’re thinking about printing, it’s best to use standard dimensions, say 4x5 or 8.5x11. 2) the high contrast, lets the reflected shine off the grasses and the dark tones in the water grab too much attention. Reduced contrast is likely to make view this more inviting (less dramatic), but that’s a choice about what you want to see.

I really like this intimate, cheery scene Marian… The bubbling water and lush green grass lift my spirit.

Thanx Mark for your useful feedback. I’ve been fiddling with the pic.

Apart from cutting out the trees I used Lightroom’s new blur feature to put the background entrance to the stream into soft focus, which I think improves it. I’ve lightened the blacks in the river at the front and reduced the contrast on the leaves. It has a more natural feel now.

What resolution should the pic be for printing? 300 dpi? or higher?

Generally speaking, anything over 240 dpi is considered fine for “normal” viewing. Of course the final dpi depends on the size of the print and the pixels in the original file. The printer associated with my website has a resolution limit, so if there aren’t enough pixels, they refuse to print.