Mating

It was interesting to watch, though difficult to capture, being so little. Positioned on the edge of a leaf towards a shadowed area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comments on technical aspect and composition

Technical Details

Nikon Z7
105 mm (max aperture of 2.8)
1/200 sec
f/5
ISO 400
LR editing subject select to improve texture and clarity. Decreased light on area inverse to subject. Oriented picture in a diagonal and darkened the top which had significant light coming from reflective light.

Marie, I’m not sure what kind of bugs these are, so not really sure how small they are. Looks you have a lot of noise for ISO 400. I’m wondering if you under exposed the image and had to bring up the brightness in the image in post processing, which then would be dealing with noise in the shadows. Still, to see them on the edge of a leaf and capture them was nice. I like the slope angle of both the leaf and the bugs.

Thank you for your reply. The noise in the shadows, I see. Not sure how to fix that without bringing the brightness. Ok , thanks

1 Like

Wonderful capture! I might go for a bit more highlight reduction (or exposure reduction, which might mean more Shadow lifting, which could mean more noise). Have you tried Topaz Denoise? I’ve found it wonderful – try the various algorithms, viewed at 100%.

1 Like

Marie, Very nice image of mating insects with most of both insects in focus. Agree with Diane on using Topaz. A little on expensive side, but astonishingly good. But I think noise is better handled during capture. a smaller aperture would have brought more of the insect on the left in focus.

1 Like