Medicine Lake Sunset

Image: Medicine Lake Sunset

Description: This Image was captured almost by accident. Our workshop group was returning to the lodge after our afternoon trip out to Sprit Island. We had some snow the day before and I requested we stop as we were passing by Medicine lake as I noticed some interesting patterns developing on the lake surface as the melting snow was creating “snow islands” on the lake surface.

As the sun was setting some beautiful clouds arrived as we were treated to a beautiful, dramatic scene with a mosaic of reflections on the patterned lake surface. It is in fact my current screen saver.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all comments welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. Lens: EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ 90.00 mm., f/10.0 for 1/25 sec. ISO 100. Edited with Photoshop, Topaz, and Nik.

3 Likes

Robert:

This image imparts a feeling of the grandeur of nature to me - perfect for a screen saver. I would use it too.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Jim Dolan

Wow, the drama and colours in the sky are quite something and the reflection, and the shape of it, is very nice as well.
Unfortunately the halo around the horizon really stands out and overall the image feels very crunchy and over-processed. I think it would definitely be worthwhile addressing these issues because otherwise the image has great potential.

Robert, this is a great scene and it’s easy to imagine sitting in front of your computer and taking a deep breath to enjoy the beauty. The halo along much of the horizon often comes from too much Clarity (also know as micro-contrast). Check out your raw file with all clarity turned off. That’s a minor detail in a lovely scene.

1 Like

A dramatic scene indeed, Robert, and very colorful, from the sky down to the lake reflections. You were there at the right time to record it and that’s half the battle. I hadn’t noticed the halo, which is minor, but that’s why I’m here, to learn from others.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, Jim. Bob Engle

Thanks, Mark. Bob Engle

Thanks, Tom. Bob Engle

Thank you for your kind words, James. Bob Engle

@robert21 I love the abstract nature of the reflected sunset colors in the open patches of the lake. My eyes went their first with the shiny surface, and the moved to the clouds and sunset, which are quite dramatic. I hardly noticed the mountains at all. It’s great that you ended up stopping!

Thank you, Karla for the kind words. Bob Engle