Mendocino Sunset #2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is from the same evening as my previous post (Mendocino Sunset), just a bit later after the sun had gone lower in the sky. The colors were even more subtle. I rather like the mood of this one and the way the front of the little wave has a nice 3-D feel.

Specific Feedback

Pretty happy with this one, but any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-11-15 at 10.31.15 AM
Processed in ACR, slight local exposure adjustments.

Another beautiful image, Bonnie. That wave was one of the first things that caught my eye. It’s a very neat effect. The textures caused by the movement feel just right in this one and I like the essentially featureless dark gray base.

Bonnie,

Oh wow, this is wonderful!

My very first impression - even from the small thumbnail, the first impression I get is that of a blanket. The leading horizontal edge of the wave just makes me feel like it’s the edge of the blanket and I’m ready to pull that over my head for a nice warm nap… Even further, the colors and texture from the motion let’s me imagine a very cool comforter set…

I dunno, maybe my mind is telling me I didn’t get enough sleep last night…

This too, a very cool effect. A beautifully executed ICM!

Lon

The subtle colors work wonderfully. As does the wave. I like @Lon_Overacker’s analogy to a blanket. The sea singing a lullaby.

Bonnie, this is absolutely lovely! The softness and glow, the striations of the water with the soft colors of sunset are so calming. The small wave is a demarcation, but one that connects the water to the shore in a gentle way. Beautiful!

Bonnie, another superb image! All of the elements support each other in the frame. The energy in the lines in the water are counterbalanced nicely by the dark featureless section on the bottom. Separating the two is that wonderful wave.

This one gives me the impression of gift wrap paper. I also love Lon’s blanket analogy.

The only minor area that gives me pause is the URC where it’s a bit darker than than the rest. No worries if you want to leave it as it. The image is wonderful already!

Thank you @Dennis_Plank @Lon_Overacker @DeanRoyer @Susanna_Euston and @Alfredo_Mora.

Oh, great analogy, Lon!

The light was like a lullaby. There’s the new title - Sea Shore Lullaby. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I noticed that and thought I’d leave it as is. I take your point, though. Thanks.

This one kept me looking for quite a while. It’s very unusual and I love it.

1 Like