Mendocino Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was a lovely sunset at MacKerricher Park in Mendocino County. The light on the surf was rather subtle, but just beautiful. I couldn’t resist going for the standard horizontal swipe ICM method to capture the softness of the sunset.

Specific Feedback

Any comments welcome. I’m o.k. with it as is, but always open to suggestions.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 4.03.04 PM
Processed in ACR for targeted exposure adjustments to enhance the light.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Absolutely LOVE this. The ICM motion is so graceful and the light/colors are sublime. I can’t think of anything that would improve this. Gorgeous.

Your post actually is a reminder for me to explore other shutter speeds besides 1/4s (my goto shutter speed.) But clearly depending on the speed of your motion, faster shutter speeds can produce elegant results - like this.

Kudos.

Bonnie, I will echo Lon’s sentiment and say this is excellent! This goes beyond the simply horizontal swipe that we see with seascapes. That is due to the relationship of the blue section with the warmer bottom section.

I get an impression of a shade being pulled down over the light to signal the end of the day. Love that your image takes my imagination there. Job well done!

A beautiful and very peaceful image, Bonnie. I love it.

Bonnie, there is not much I can add to what has already been said. I really like the peace and quiet your image brings. The light, colors, and curves are endearing.

I see you used your bridge camera. Are you enjoying it?

Hi Bonnie! I have to add my vote to the others - this is a lovely ICM image. It gives a peaceful, contented feeling to the viewer. Well done!

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker, @Alfredo_Mora, @Dennis_Plank, @Egídio, and @Steve_Kennedy! I have quite a few from this particular evening, made as the light changed. I’ll post a few more because they are so different from each other.

Yes - it’s a fun exercise to change the shutter speed and try different movement speeds. You can get quite different results.

What a great metaphor! Thanks, Alfredo.

Oh, definitely! It’s permanently in my pocket these days. :grinning:

It does have it’s drawbacks. It’s more difficult to change exposure settings quickly, but I’m getting better at it. I need to figure out how to program a couple settings for recall - I think that’s possible.

And I’m a bit constrained on ss for longer exposures because it only stops down to f/11 (which was the case with this photo). I had to go with a “faster” ss because of the relative brightness of the scene. If I want to do longer exposures and it’s going to be bright, I’ll take the big camera.

1 Like

This is really cool and I like it a lot! I love that cool coloured “cap” over the warm colours below. Simple and elegant.

1 Like

Simply wonderful!! All said above!

Speed of the swipe being equal, with longer focal lengths (200mm equiv. here) faster shutter speeds are equivalent to slower ones with a wider lens.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller, thanks for the technical explanation. I had intuited that from experience, but hadn’t thought about why. This was illustrated by @Mario_Cornacchione’s recent ICM of a big landscape view (Mountain View). The foreground was really blurred, while the background not so much.

Well, now reading my explanation I give you credit for figuring out what I was trying to say – in a hurry. The simpler explanation (for me, anyhow) is to think of the “amount” of blur as how many pixels a feature will be moved in the time the shutter is open. With 16mm, if a movement covers say 10 pixels, at 200mm at the same swipe speed and exposure time it would cover a lot more pixels so be a stronger blur.

1 Like