Mergansers taking flight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A huge flock of mergansers were gathered on the bay and a lot of chaos and splash was created as they decided to take flight.

Specific Feedback

I wonder about the birds being so close to the edge of the photo. Does this work? I cropped this photo to avoid bodies of birds being only partially in the frame but it left no room around the edges.

Technical Details

Sony A1, 200-600mm X1.4, 840mm, 1/2000 @ f9.0, ISO 3200
Processed minimally in lightroom and Topaz AI.

3 Likes

I really like this image. The water action is great and despite all that, there’s good detail in the birds. The leading bird is abutting the frame and I could see adding some canvas or cloning out the birds that were partially in the frame. Otherwise I like the composition and aspect ratio you chose. Great job.

Thank you Allen. I was wondering if it would be a candidate for a photo contest, but from your comments, I am hearing not, as I can not clone or add canvas for a contest and I agree, it is crowed along the edge.

Hi Kathryn, my attention first goes to the middle bird and then the top one on the right. A fine action capture. Birds seems soft to me which makes this more of an artistic piece in my eyes which is fine.
My thoughts on cropping and composition mirror what @Allen_Brooks said. I did notice the bird right up against the edge on the right. Still, a compelling image.

1 Like

Hi Kathryn, this is a nice image, with an artistic feel like others have said. I too would wish for a bit more room on the right. I might try darkening the bottom area just a bit as it draws my eye from the birds. I’ve tried these flock take offs and have never gotten one that works. This one does. Well done.

1 Like

Hope I am not being to bold but I loved your image.
Just my two cents

1 Like

You got a very nice capture of a difficult situation. More room on the right and top would be nice. You can have two versions – one with some artistic license and one for contests.

1 Like

A very nice image of the mergansers taking off, Kathryn. Lots of energy in this one. I think I would give the extra room in front similar to what @Steve_Rosendahl did. Since you have more of the original, you could add it back in and try cloning out the rear end of the bird(s) you had to add back to get the composition you want.

1 Like