metamorphosis

What makes this image expressive?

on all my trips to the Dolomites (fortunately I live not so far from this region) I was fascinated by the continuous change of light on the immense limestone walls, giving me the impression of standing in front of enormous living beings which are moving constantly. I‘ve been trying very often to capture this impression in a photo. This is one I really like. What do you think?

Specific Feedback Requested

everything :wink:

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to NPN Kerstin, thank you for sharing this magnificent image with me. Now, this is right up my street, intimate and majestic, mysterious and grand in equal measures, and telling a great story at the same time.

Firstly, I think the scale incongruity works so well. We have no idea how high the wall is, but it looks gigantic. That immediately fills us with a sense of awe. The strong silhouette of the foreground adds some nice geometric dynamics that add more energy to the glowing light by creating such a strong confluence of contrast. Finally, the billowing atmospheric clouds, tease us with unseen details, hiding behind the veil.

Having spent some time looking I can only find one thing I would suggest you reconsider.

That tiny little bump to the right of where the foreground meets the frame. I’d clone that out.

I think this image speaks loudly of the love you have for these mountains. What to us feels like eternity, to these limestone cliffs is the blink of an eye. They are still growing and eroding, they are in a real sense still alive.

Thanks again, I love this image.

1 Like

Kerstin, welcome to NPN! It’s awesome having you here sharing this amazing image. I will let Alister provide the in-depth critique. Just wanted to say that I love the light and shadow here.

2 Likes

Wow, this is dramatic. You’ve conveyed a sense of intimacy and grandeur at the same time that is quite unusual.

And welcome to NPN!

1 Like

Thank you very much - of course I’m very happy with your feedback - and yes, I’ve should have been a little bit more careful when cropping the image… thanks for the advice!

1 Like

It was terribly close to perfection! :slight_smile:

1 Like