Mid-Morning In Bryce Canyon

I was intrigued by Guy Manning’s editing difficulties for his morning shot in Bryce. I didn’t get there as early as he so in the few short hours after sunrise, the colors both intensified and deepened.

The difficulty in shooting Bryce is the color and tonal range is so close together, regardless of distance or subject, so getting good separation requires copious amounts of diddling in luminosity masks and just about every other adjustment.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the separation work in both shots, and if not, how can I make it better?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Both shot with a D810, 24-120, ISO 400. The first shot is f/11, 1/320 @82mm and the second 1/125 @ 105mm

Lots of diddling in ACR and PS with a lot of luminosity masking, color adjusting, exposure, etc., etc., and so forth.

Hi Chris, it is a very good point you mention about separation, it is not easy and there is as many option as people that takes these pictures. In my opinion, the light and saturation can help in separation, as well as composition in the example I worked out. I changed the aspect ratio in order to get out of the frame the tips of the back wall (I do not how to say it in other way in my limited english) and I also masked out the back wall and desaturated and darkened a bit. It is a different way, not better at any mean, but is the way I worked it out. Cheers from Chile, and let me know what you think.

2 Likes

I did that on my first edit (darken the BG) but was afraid it would be too dark. I am not sure about the aspect ratio change but will take a look. Interesting to see how you edited and I will have a closer look look at my own edit. thanks for taking the time to edit.

Chris, I like your image as is with the fringe of snow at the top of the frame. It gives the image balance and adds interest. I might crop or clone the darker rock at the LLC as it is a bit distracting. Overall, this is a terrific intimate landscape. I haven’t been to Bryce Canyon and would love to go.

1 Like

Love the comments on the last image but would like some feedback on the first image as well. Silly me, didn’t have the second image in the proper place…now all fixed.

The background competes and draw attention from the main subject. I suspect that flat light without shadows would have helped. Its a challenging light situation for sure.

1 Like

I prefer the composition of the first image (over the second image). I think the composition of the first image is well balanced, and has nice spacing along the edges that leaves breathing room around the center formation. In the second image the comp feels somewhat cramped to me, and I don’t like how the formations are clipped or cut off along the top edge.

In terms of the light, it is a difficult exposure situation, but you have handled the contrast and saturation about as well as one could, given the light.

1 Like