Millipede

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The last week I’ve been going through my files for the last 14 years to collect images of a cat we had to have put down. In the process, if I saw something intriguing, I’d jot down the date so I could go back and look at it again. I don’t know why I didn’t post any of these at the time, but I thing a couple of the shots I took of this critter 12 years ago were worth looking at again. This was my favorite.

Specific Feedback

Does having the upper half or so of the millipede destroy the image?

Technical Details

Canon 7D, FE 180mm f/3.5 macro, probably a tripod, f/16, 1/30, iso 320. Processed yesterday in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2548 pixels square. Taken September 27th, 2012 at 8:30 AM.

Cool! I think the comp is fine, with the strong curve and the hint of further feet at the top. We’ve been transplanting quite a few of these things this winter – to back outside where they belong.

I’d bet many of us would appreciate a tribute portrait of your kitty. We’ve had three wonderful and uniquely individual cats, and still mourn each of them.

Dennis, this is as close as I have had of a look at a millipede. Nice and sharp eye and face, placed nicely in the composition, and everything else in the image seems to just be pointing to the face. It had to wait 12 years but it was worthy of posting, that’s for sure. I’m good with it as it is. Can’t think of anything that would improve it.

Dennis: Your image file mining paid off here for sure. Don’t think I would want this guy crawling up my leg. Great comp and a fine result.>=))>