Millipede

I believe this is considered a millipede, but what the name of it is, I am not sure. I tried looking it up, but didn’t see one exactly like it. Maybe someone else on here might recognize and be able to ID it.

I saw these while out walking the other day, so decided when I saw one on our steps to get the camera and go out looking down the road I walk, and found one after a bit. I decided to go with a pano to go with the subject. I like the tiny piece of grass (the millipede is probably 1 1/4 inches long to give perspective), as it seems to add a bit to the image, rather than just him on sand.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Did I calm the highlights on him enough?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition work? The black sand (I think) in front of his face, is that a problem, or do you think it should be cloned out. Since there were a few other specks like it, I thought it worked as part of the environment, or it might be what he was head for to eat. It was so tiny there as no way these old eyes were able to see well enough to ID.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens with KX-800 twin flash with diffuser. Settings manual, f19, 1/90, ISO 160. Edited in LR and Topaz.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

What a fun find. I like the composition, the way the millipede is slightly angled and looks like he is headed for either the twig of grass or the little black spec. So, no the black spec does not bother me. Considering the size, you’ve gotten great detail in the little bug. No the highlights are not too bright for me they help to define the little creature. Thanks for posting this little guy.

1 Like

Shirley: Nice find and a fine capture. I do think I would make the black piece of grit go away. For me it’s too close to the subject and is a distraction rather than a complement. The other dark specks are far enough away from the critter that they don’t matter. I do think the grass is a nice element and looks like his destination. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

I think the millipede is wondering what the black grit is and is carefully touching it to help make that determination. I would leave it in.

1 Like

Shirley, this works very well as presented. The highlights are well controlled, going pano fits well and the two clumps of green leaves add good touches of interest. The bits of dirt fit the scene. There’s a nice sense of joyful exploration at a very tiny scale here, that the red and black colors of this millipede add to nicely.

1 Like