Misty Morning on the Chipola

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How did I do light to dark, bright to dim?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Driving back from a night of Milky Way shooting, a fine mist overtook our merry little group so as we crossed the bridge over the Chipola River, I looked to my left and suggested the driver pull down to this vantage point for a sunrise shot. It was just the perfect morning greeting. The sky itself was pretty easy to capture but the foreground, in near silhouette, not so much. So, does the balance between the fore and BG need more light or a slight bit less?

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii, Tokina 17-35 @29mm, f/7.1, 1/640, ISO 640 (no tripod)
(I have essential tremors so to compensate, I shoot higher shutter speeds when shooting hand-held than I would on a tripod.)
Standard ACR for light and color balance then PS with a short foray into TK9 after selecting the sky and doing a dehazing adjustment, then back to PS to isolate the foreground trees/stumps and water/mist where I mostly just amplified the light on the middle, foreground cypress knees.

Specific Feedback

On a technical level, did I create a reasonable pathway for the eye to follow the sun down to the cypress knees that I set as the focal point?

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I envy you this location Chris. Not sure I’d do anything to this compelling image – the edit takes me there, even if the foreground is fairly dark. Great eye catching just the hint of mist on the water.

Thanks, James. I actually lightened the foreground by almost two stops but was afraid to go further so as to avoid any pixelation. I just wish we’d gotten there 15 minutes earlier to get a more accentuated mist.

I like this capture a lot. The only thing I might look at would be to slightly reduce its saturation. Magical scene!

Chris, you’ve handled the contrast well and it’s a great scene with the knees, sun and mist. It could stand a bit more work in the upper right corner where the sky through the tree is notably lighter than the sky to the tree’s left. I think the glow in the central knee is too much relative to the rest of the knee, but agree that you want some attention there. I could also see cropping the first tree off on the left, to move the sun glow further left…that’s a might or might not work suggestion.

The foreground really caught my attention, then the bright spot moving up from the foreground. Finally, I noticed the blurry orangish leaves near the middle above the foreground stumps.

This is a gorgeous picture with these majestic rocks in the front looking as if they are protecting their kingdom. I also love the framing of the water and how the trees from the other side add drama to the scene. I am not sure you need to change anything. Maybe darken a little at the top to keep people in the picture and add to the drama but if you wanted to emphasize the change from bright to dark you can definitely leave it as is. Really captivating picture.

This is a serene peaceful morning image Chris. I love the mist on the cypress swamps. Beautiful colors and light on the water and the leaves. Cool look at the knees.

The emotional contrast between the tension building roots in the front and the serene background is interesting. Sometimes incongruity like that piques interest.