Misty Yellowstone

One of those magical mornings on Yellowstone Lake.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the high key work for you?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Are the colors soft enough given the scene? I pulled out the color in Lab to have a little pastel pink in the sky to give some color contrast against all the blue.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/15, f/8, ISO 160, taken on a misty morning and processed high key

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, The high key presentation works great here for me. It creates an ethereal mood that works well with the mist. The sky and mist work well together; they are the main elements of the composition to me. The misted out tree and ground around it are also central to the image. I also like the pink in the sky. Terrific image with lots of mood.

1 Like

David: One of my favorite places on the planet and I love the atmospherics. We were there in early June but didn’t have much time to spend around the lake. It’s a small point but the mist shrouded tree makes the shot for me. The color palette is marvelous. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

1 Like

I really love the high Key approach here. This is totally a taste thing, but I’d perhaps brush in just a bit of contrast on the tree. Although I like that it’s obscured, I feel like you could still have the same basic approach but still bring a little more attention to it. Love the color palette!

David, I love the soft delicate mood created by the high key treatment. High key is the way to go here, more contrast would detract from the mood. The blue tones in the mountain and treeline look great for this type of scene, you nailed the color.

I see what @Dan_Hawk is saying about wanting to accentuate the tree on the island, but I’d be worried about adding contrast. I think another approach to consider might be a slight crop from the bottom. This would make the tree appear larger in the scene. I also think the most interesting part of the fog on the water is where it starts to dissipate near the treeline, and a slight crop from the bottom would not be giving up much IMO.

David, YES the high key mood works really well! I really like the soft colors as presented and just maybe a touch more pink would be acceptable for my taste but that is quite personal. What a great choice to show just enough detail of the tree to draw in the viewer and hold their attention!

David,

Wonderful atmoshperics here. for me, it’s that lone tree and island in the fog that really capture the mood here; the presence of the mountain and clouds up top (including the hint of color) are just icing on the cake.

I actually would just consider this mildly high-key. Not that it matters… but really it’s all about mood and atmosphere. That tree/island also add a great sense of mystery.

Lon

Beautifully done, David! The mist and clouds certainly create a great sense of mystery, and the tree looks like it’s floating. The blues and pinks work especially well. While I like Ed’s crop, I prefer the space in your original.
–P

1 Like

David, I like the high key in this image. And the colors are just right to me. I can just imagine that morning in Yellowstone. Must have been a really nice experience, and to come away with a shot like this to hold the memories of it is really extra special. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thank you all!

@Bill_Fach we were able to spend a couple of weeks around the lake which has now become one of my favorite areas, primarily because there are a lot less people!

@Dan_Hawk I tried adding a bit of contrast to the tree but it lost its feeling of mystery, I actually like how it’s barely visible, you miss it at first but upon further study it jumps out at you, thank you for the idea though!

@Ed_McGuirk I do prefer the crop, that subtle change finished it off for me and I’m happy with it now, thank you :+1:t2:

@Shirley_Freeman we have been chasing this type of image at this island for many years, it was quite the magical morning with just enough fog to give atmosphere but not completely obscure the island and the mountains.

1 Like