Monk Parakeet

This is one of several parrot species seen during my Brazil tour a few months back. This shot was a pleasant surprise in a couple ways. First, to catch it carrying off this potential meal, but also the fact that this is a pretty heavy crop. On the R5 I still had enough detail to get a decent image out of it.

This is the type of composition that won’t appeal to everyone. Many have a tendency to prefer more room in front of the profiled subject. I am not opposed, however, to leaving more room behind sometimes… with BiF it often helps convey a better sense of speed (the bird is “zooming out of the frame”), and in this case with the grass trailing backward, I think the eye is directed to the right anyway.

Canon R5
Canon 600mm EF
1/2500th
f/6.3
ISO 640

Max

3 Likes

Max:

The Parakeet is great and with the grass in the beak, trailing under the bird, it makes for a compelling flight image.

I’m not 100% sold on the crop but understand what you’ve described.

1 Like

HI Max
The framing is interesting, I had to stop and think and maybe learn something for it. I only wish the Parakeet was bigger in the frame. The coloring and feather detail looks really nice.
Peter

I only wish the Parakeet was bigger in the frame.

To be fair, this is a tiny parakeet! :laughing:

Tiny or not, the catch is terrific. I agree that a traditional crop with room for the bird to move into is what most would go for, but I see the case for it here. Bird on a mission. No time to wait. Can’t be hanging around. Bird business! I think this conveys that well.

1 Like

The bird and its building material stand out very nicely from the background, and I like the overall colours a lot. I also appreciate your choice of composition, so in all a fine image ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

A fine image, Max. The choice of composition is interesting and I think it works, though I’d be tempted to take just a bit more off the right.

1 Like