Red-Shouldered Hawk - Immature

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I returned to an area that I had scouted a few days earlier with just my binoculars and where I had spotted a red-shouldered hawk. One can never be certain, but I was really pleased to locate this one in the same general area. I got a really good look. Working from my car, the Hawk didn’t seem disturbed as it was focused elsewhere. This frame was taken moments before the Hawk launched from the perch in pursuit of its prey which was obscured from my view.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon Z9
Lens: Nikkor Z600mm f/4TC @840
Exposure: 1/1000 @ f/5.6
ISO:6400
Post-Processing: LRC, PS, and Topaz Photo AI

John, I like the background colors and in general the light conditions very much. The pose of the bird is also very nice and one can feel that it is looking for something. I would have gone for a tighter crop or a bit more of room at the bottom.

Thanks for your feedback. The lower part of the foreground frame was a bit of a mess as these woodland scenes sometimes are. I see your point about the crop. Originally I went tighter but thought maybe a little more room was better. Thanks again. John

This is fabulous. I love the framing you achieved and how the OOF elements come together to create depth and allow for us to imagine what an arboreal hunter has to contend with, albeit in the most beautiful way possible.

In terms of leaving room at the bottom, I think that’s more for our imaginations than our inspection. We know you have the feet in the photo, well at least most of them, but the clipping makes us feel like we are missing something compared to whether we really do want or need to see the very ends of those talons. We couldn’t really do that even if you had included them. So it’s a toss up between giving us more of the fabulous bird that is in great light and focus, or making us feel a bit uneasy about the fact that something is missing even if it’s inconsequential. Personally, I like that I can see more of this wonderful bird. Just my take.

Hi John
This is a very regal looking Hawk. (puffed out chest and eye contact). The coloring and feather detail, looks great.
Peter

I love that colorful background, John, and the look of the hawk is just plain awesome. Out of habit in these critiques, I thought about the cut-off imaginary tail, but to tell the truth,i don’t think it would matter to anyone but a bird photographer. There’s enough foreground stuff at the bottom of the frame to make it clear that the stuff below was probably obscured.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. My instinct at the time of capture was to take advantage of the background and make sure to get the eye and most of the bird in focus. As I was shooting slightly up from a fixed position, bringing the foreground into better focus just wasn’t an option. I’ve got other versions at 600mm that show tail more clearly although still obscured by foreground foliage. To include it changes the focus from the bird to more of an environmental shot. In any event, thanks for everyone’s responses and feedback. John

Hi John, what makes the images, beside the bird, is the awesome fall colors in the BG. Love it ! I agree with the remarks on the lower end of the image, I would prefer more, messy or not. As Dennis puts it, it probably only matters to bird photographers, but that’s what we are here :wink: … Cheers, Hans

Beautiful fall color and excellent detail. I could see cropping for more of a portrait shot with the head and chest.