Monkey Bar

Still on the subject of Orangutans from my trip home this year. After seeing these guys in the wild, now I get why they call those contraptions in the playground monkey bars.

So guys, I am struggling with DOF in a lot of these shots. I usually make sure the face or eyes are tack sharp and let the focus falls off naturally. Is that what you guys would do? Like in this image, her limbs are soft but the face is in focus. Is that a distraction?

All feedbacks are most welcome!

D500, 200mm, f/4.5, 1/400, ISO 4500, cropped 50%.

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Adhika !
I don’t see the DOF to be a problem here, but it shouldn’t be so, if you want hands to be sharp as well. It’s a cool image but I do find the highlights in he BG to be a problem,
Since you haven’t mentioned he techs here, It is difficult to elaborate.

Thanks, @JRajput!

There is some softness in the lower limb which in part is due to motion blur but also because of shooting upward. It’s good to hear that you don’t find it distracting. I know what you mean about the BG highlight. I feel the same at first but at it bothers me less the more I look at it.

I have added the shooting tech in the OP. Thanks for the reminder! :smiley:

I like the perspective and the DoF seems pretty good to me.
I see you have already done a 50% crop but the strong green leaves in the foreground are quite dominant. But overall a lovely capture of a cute orangutan

Thanks, @Ryan_H! Indeed, the foreground OOF is not ideal at all.

Hi Adhika. I don’t think the oof foot is an issue. There is no way you’re going to get enough dof to get it and the head in focus at that angle. The foreground foliage doesn’t bother me. The habitat these live in is not going to give you clear shots and you’re going to be shooting up unless you climb trees yourself.

This is a wonderful image, and especially under such trying light conditions. I recall my own efforts to photograph the Orangutan in the Danum Valley, and light was always lacking. I think you’ve done well, and the DOF does not detract at all from the image. You might try to tone down the bright spots in the background.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Charles_Bell!

The habitat is indeed a very huge challenge to make that clean shot. Perhaps I have resorted to creating something that sort of support the subject. In this case, it is almost like a natural frame against her. But I can see how that one leaf becomes kind of a distraction the whole image. I actually find it more distracting than the blown highlights in the BG.

@Charles_Bell, I did not know that you have been to Danum Valley. I shot there a few years ago and it is, hands down, one my favorite places to be in the entire island.