Monster from the Id

Thought you might like to see the origins of the image

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Applecross, Wester Ross, Scotland

During the 70’s in my childhood I was very much into Sci Fi and Lost in Space which in one episode featured an energy hungry invisible creature that destructively wreaked havoc only becoming partially visible as it absorbed energy from a constant barage of laser fire its outline glowing red. It was called “The Monster from the Id” which I am reliably informed means the imagination. Those vivid green eyes camouflaged within the sand patterns evoke similar emotions. I had a great time, must stop eating those mushrooms.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 50S, GF 250mm + 1.4x converter, unfiltered , f11 at 1/30 second, ISO 200. 3 image photostack for depth of field sharpness across the expanse of sand.

1 Like

Very creative shot. The patterns are mesmerizing. I think Lost in Space stole the idea of the Monster From The Id from the 1956 movie Forbidden Planet, a classic.

2 Likes

I really like images like this for both the pattern and simplicity. I do wonder what it would look like as a higher contract B&W image.

Very cool image Ian. I love the patterns and graceful lines along with the colors in this scene. I never saw Lost In Space, but I remember the classic Forbidden Planet; which my brother @Michael_Lowe already mentioned; with the same premise. Nicely done!

I don’t remember that specific episode of Lost in Space, although I must have seen it. Your rendition is great! So well seen. And it’s digital!

Ian, I like the play of patterns and color in both images. The bits of reflected landscape are tantilizing and add excitment to the compostion. The angle of the dark water at the top of the frame is distracting. I think cropping at the top to eliminate that area would strengthen the composition. The water at the top suggestions more information that has been cropped out and distracts from the curved lines in the rest of the compostion. By the way the second image is also fascinating. If it were cropped to eliminate the dark area on the shore it would make a great composition. You have two very nice scenes here.

As much as I like the original posted image, I think the second image showing where it came from might be even better. The colors are fascinating and the texture in the sand is almost canvas like. I love the swirling patters that nature threw your way in this scene. I see two green eyes looking out across the expanse of the scene.
In scenes like this it’s tough to find a place to crop where it doesn’t leave the viewer wondering what was cut off from the scene. There are the two sections of water along the top of the frame that pull the viewers eye out of the frame and makes me wonder what was up there. The bottom and both the left and right sides are fine but I find that the crop on top is a little bit distracting. I do love those two green cat eyes though. :slight_smile: