Moon Roof Icescape

What technical feedback would you like if any? How can I brighten without losing detail.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Changed grey tone to a blue tone in NIK. Taken with Canon SX60, F4, 1/60, ISO 100. Looked down on my car on the first frosty morning and saw this wonderful design.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Beautiful! I just love the warm/cool combination ad of course the patterns are wonderful!

Wow, Patricia, I would never have guessed what this was without reading the title. What a great find and capture. The shapes and designs are wonderful, and as Tom said, the warm/cool combination makes this a lovely macro/abstract. Nicely seen and captured.

Beautiful patterns and kind of high key light. I find the difference in color at the bottom throws me off just a bit. I would consider either trying to match color down there or maybe crop. This is a really excellent abstract!

Patricia, the shapes and textures look great here. This is a fine abstract as presented. The best way to adjust contrast and brightness is to dodge and burn through luminosity masks (assuming you have software that will let you do that). Dodging through one of the lighter lights masks will raise only the highlights. Burning through one of the darker darks masks will darken the darks. The combo, increases the contrast. You might also want to do a color saturation layer that only applies to the more golden region in the lower right corner. Here’s my quick adjustment attempt using Photoshop.

Beautiful patterns well seen and captured. Mark’s version looks better than the original. I would have never guessed what it is if not for the caption.

My first thought about this was embroidery. We had an embroidered tablecloth such as this on an oak table when I was young. These are such beautiful designs. I feel there is an issue at the very bottom, however, where the flow of these arcs and curves is abruptly terminated. There are many good, balanced compositions within this image which I would explore and construct, particularly in the upper portion. I find that image makers are reluctant to make large crop modifications their work so I won’t offer any examples. It’s interesting in that the frost has that grainy texture that’s so similar to images of sand or sandstone. It’s like a fine mosaic.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Guess I missed the lesson in Photoshop on masking. Still time to learn?

Patricia, Tony Kuyper’s web site is one of many that describe how to make and how to use luminosity masks. If you haven’t been there, it’s worth a visit.

Patricia: Just goes to show that good images can be made from obscure subjects if one has the right vision. This is delightful and reminds me of paisley tie patterns. Most excellent. >=))>

Patricia
Who would have thought you could get a lovely image like this from frost on your car? Good capture and presentation!

Congratulations on the EP Patricia, this is a simply beautiful image, it’s a true work of art by both Mother Nature and you !!!

1 Like

Gorgeous image - congratulations!
Grt, Ingrid.