Icy patterns (first attempt at macro)

Hi everyone. This is not my usual type of thing, in fact it was my first real attempt at anything this intimate and close up.

This was a frozen puddle with some brown leaves under the surface. I loved the swirly patterns the bright parts of the ice made.

Composition and PP feedback welcomed. PP wise I deepened and cooled the blacks and dodged the highlights, adding a bit of orton effect to make them glow slightly.

Many thanks
Chris

1 Like

Oooh, this is very cool! Those lines are so graceful. Did you clone something in the LRC? Looks like a clone “duplication” effect there, but maybe it’s the ice itself. I do like the glowing effect.

Macro and close up photography gives a new perspective on the normal subjects. Glad you saw this and presented it here. Nicely done.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie. Yes I see that too. I’ll have a play to correct it. Thanks very much.

Thanks @Patricia_Brundage yes I really enjoyed it. Something I’ll be developing for sure

Chris, I am sorry I overlooked this image, not noticing it was in Macro/Close-up even, and thought I was seeing an aerial image of a landscape, but ice patterns never crossed my mind, and evidently I didn’t read the title. Well seen and presented. I love the lines, shapes and patterns presented here. Macro is a whole other world, and I truly enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman you are aren’t the first person to say it looks like an aerial shot!

Best wishes
Chris

Chris, this is a fine take on this scene, the flow of the ice lines is gentle, smooth and very artistic. Those lines contrast beautifully with the warm tones in the leaves underneath. Some filling in of the dark space, LLC, is a good idea. It sounds like you’ve got a fix, but just in case, doing the cloning with reduced opacity from multiple areas would give you some enough brown there to overcome the darkness without attracting too much attention.

1 Like

This is an amazing find Chris, and you have created a very high impact image. I love the graphic design of the ice pattern. I also love your use of color here, the brown leaves look great, and contrast nicely with the hints of blue in the ice and shadows.

You should do more of these :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nicely done Chris - you seem to have a wonderful artistic eye. Nice flow and highlights to the image with a terrific backdrop to set it off.

1 Like

I really like this, @Chris_Mitchell. I like the rich colors and utterly organic qualities of the forms. The scale is really indistinct. Great stuff.

I wonder about cropping it from the top to a square ratio to remove any directionality provided by the present ratio.

1 Like

Chris: For a landscape guy you did good here :wink:. This is very well seen and composed and I like it a lot. Hope you continue to look for the tiny landscapes as well as the grand and keep posting in macro. >=))>

1 Like

Wow, cheers everyone I really appreciate your comments.

1 Like

This is top class. I love the way you have conceived the image and brought out the end result. Very well done
Balan Vinod

1 Like

Very nice image Chris, the sinuous lines along with the contrast are wonderful. I think this could have benefited from some focus stacking to get everything in focus, or maybe it’s just the way the LRC looks? Although the top ridges of the ice also look slightly out of focus as well. Personally I would crop the OOF area in the lower right as it is a bit distracting. Looking forward to seeing more of your macro work!

1 Like