Moraine Morning Redux

One of my favorite subjects is old trees. This one is in Rocky Mountain NP overlooking Moraine Park. The first shot was taken in 2007 while the second was taken this year. I have other shots dating back to 1998 but liked the comparison of these two. The first was a single capture using my Sony A100, my first digital SLR. The second is an HDR taken with my current Sony A77II. Of course the comps and perspectives are slightly different and any comments on the merits of one or both are most welcome. >=))>
June 2007

June 2019

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill, I much prefer the 2007 image. I think it is far superior compositionally. The tree stands out much better against the sky. The bird is a great added bonus. Great shot.
:vulcan_salute:

Put me down for 2007. The composition, framing and depth are really good. The bird is a fine bonus.

Another vote for 2007, Bill. I agree with @Michael_Lowe & @Harley_Goldman on the composition. The only thing lacking in the 2007 version IMHO is that it seems to need more contrast. I played with that and have attached another version with contrast boosted. The bird is a GREAT element and a huge bonus.

Original version

With increased contrast

Bill: I really like what you did with the 2007 image. Thanks.:+1: >=))>

2007 fir me also. I find the comp more interesting and the bird on the branch in a nice surprise

A question for those commenting: as a newbie, trying to understand composition - the 2007 photo’s subject to me would seem to be the mountains, framed by the tree. The bird would be a distraction. So, where did I go wrong with my understanding of composition. BTW Bill I am a fan of both. Thanks for letting me hijack this thread a bit.

Bill,

Overall, the 2007 image is the stronger one. I think Bill C. is on the track of making that one stronger image with the added contrast - although one could debate how much… But I like what Bill has proposed. I think the 2019 image would have been awesome had you been able to compose a similar scene… clearly the old tree has gone through some changes…

Hi @mike6, great and valid question. No problem asking especially since it’s directly related to this posted image. I don’t disagree with you that the bird is a “distraction.” However, there are “distractions” that ADD to the story or impact of an image. Sure, the image would have been great without the bird… but its inclusion IMHO adds to the overall story and presentation. The bird doesn’t necessarily detract from the scene… but actually adds value to the scene. At least that’s how I see it. Great question!

Lon