More Dahlia Antics

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From my session Sunday with Dahlias. I kind of liked this image in color, but decided to play with black and white conversion and ended up with this interpretation.

Specific Feedback

Did inverting the tonality to put the light at the center of the flower work? Any suggestions?

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro + 1.4 TC @ 211 mm, tripod with cable release, f/22, 1/4 sec, iso 320, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 8832x6336. I used a Darks luminosity mask to invert the tonalities (the TK panel lets you save a mask as a pixel layer). Minor adjustments from there to get the look I wanted. I also lowered fine details and accentuated large detail because I saw this image as being about form and light rather than fine detail.

1 Like

Yes, it worked for me, Dennis. I really like the volume and details you created with the tonality inversion. The image, as presented, almost makes me think of a pine cone close-up/macro. Very creative editing you got here, Dennis. Nicely done.

Wonderful composition and detail and yes, the inversion absolutely works for me!! I wonder about toning down the brightest areas at the top border.

The wonderfully innovative inversion conveys a bright and mysterious energy.
For me, the left side, with it dark and seemingly softly focused shapes does not contribute, so cropping that away might be an option.