More Hijinks

ISO 100, 20 secs @ f16

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

More high key work in my studio. Could not resist this tulip at the grocery store a week ago or so.

Technical Details

first image
Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm, 12mm XT
ISO 100, 1.6 sec @ f4

1 Like

Nice work and interpretation of this flower. The result is quite ethereal and emphasizes the softness of this species where a lot of photos emphasize the linearity and symmetry. I prefer the second version for its warmer tones and that there seems to be a touch deeper dark tones.

Beautiful soft feel to these images, Bill. I love them both, but do agree with @Kris_Smith, the second one does have a warm feel. Also it seems, for some reason, to be a bit sharper around the petals. Great day’s work in your studio.

Beautiful work, Bill. Perhaps because we are having an unusual non stop rainy day here in Phenix, I am leaning to the cooler, first, image. Both are stunning!

Bill, these are both nice, but I think I like the first one best. Really well done with both images.

Beautiful work, Bill. I prefer the second for the slight increase in tilt and the hint more saturation. In both of them, I find myself wishing the tip of the tulip didn’t quite disappear into the background, though I know that’s often done in high key images. In this case, I’d like to maintain just a hint of the color.

David Leaser, a fine art flower photographer, notes that tulips are difficult to photograph because they rapidly open towards artificial lighting like flashes used in studio photography. Bill, you are faster than the tulip with two well crafted images. Both look fine, but I’ll give the second a slight nudge over the first with slightly deeper coloration. Comps are fine as presented…Jim

They’re lovely shots but, like Dennis, I’d prefer that the top of the tulip didn’t fade out so completely.

I’m late here but have to say I love the high key effect. Don’t make me choose between the two. At first I wondered how I felt about the fading tip but decided it engaged my attention and curiosity. Two lovely images that are good candidates for framing!