Aging Gracefully

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is my tulip that I was working High Key last week. Today I decided to shoot it Low Key with backlight in the bathroom studio. Had good strong sunlight coming in the high window. This is HDR to capture more dynamic range but still show off the backlight. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 132mm
ISO 400, 1/40 @ f22 (HDR)

2 Likes

Very dramatic lighting, Bill and fantastic detail in the flower head. Your choice of using HDR technique was clearly a good one. Just wondering about toning down the highlights on the leaves? They seem just a bit bright, at least for me. You’re certainly getting your moneys worth out of that one tulip! Truly a wonderful shot.

Wonderful backlighting, Bill. That and your processing really make the entire tulip glow. The detailin the petals is awesome.

Backlight is so difficult – you got a striking result here. I’m a little conflicted about the brightest area in the leaves, as it pulls my eye away from the very interesting flower. Maybe a second raw conversion with the Highlights pulled down, then layer that on and mask with a soft-edged brush…

1 Like