Morning hunt

All summer long I would see a Cormorants or two hunting the river but, come Oct they started to gather up for the winter migration. Both shots were taken on The One Mile River in Old Lyme on Sept. 5 and Oct 2, 2020, hand-held from the Zodiac.

Thank you for stopping by.

Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, shot 1( 7:52 Am, ISO 400, -.7 EV, 324mm, F8, 1/4250, cropped by 50%) shot 2 (7:40 AM, ISO 400, -1.3 EV, 600mm, F8, 1/4000, cropped by 60%)

Nice photos of the cormorants Peter. I particularly like the group photo. That pano crop really looks good. Looks cool and blustery out on the water. I guess the cool blue tones add to the feeling. Well done.

Pleasing light and color. I have a DB Cormorant colony near me. There are easily over a hundred. Watching them fish together is amazing. They are around all year long.

Hi Peter,
My favorite is the group photo as well. Nicely composed with the grass line as a boundary and the various poses of the birds. We saw bunches of these in the swamp tour this past weekend.

I like the pose and sweet light of the first photo. The upward head angle is nice. The bird seems a tad bit soft to me.

Interesting group shot, but the single bird would be my favorite. I think I’d prefer a more horizontal crop with more of the wake showing, but it’s always a difficult choice for me as to how to crop an image with a strong wake.

Nice shots of the cormorants, Peter. For relatively common birds, they sure are difficult to get good shots of. I’m with Allen-the group shot is definitely my favorite.