Morning on the Dunes

Hello! I couldn’t find where to tag this ‘type_human-element’, so I’m including that here.

There were quite a few people out for sunrise at the Mesquite dunes in Death Valley, and this couple was moving in the frame for a long time so I decided to try and make the best of it. I actually really liked the sense of scale they gave.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I didn’t do something correctly

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: handheld, I don’t think there’s really any pertinent information.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome aboard and an enjoyable first post. I also like the people in the scene for the sense of scale they provide. I might use content aware fill on the lower right corner and get rid of that blurry area. No other thoughts. This one provides a fine sense of place and environment for these dunes.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Karla, welcome to NPN. In the Weekly Challenge, the only tag that’s important is the one for the current week’s challenge, that lets the moderator (me, :smile:) select all of a challenge’s posts as I make the editor’s pick choice for the week. This is a fine look at these dunes, with all of their tracks and the mountains in the distance. The color shift works well and the tracks (as well as the two people) set the scale. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and reading comments from you.

Welcome to the NPN community Karla. Wonderful Death Valley image and I would agree the the people do add a great sense of scale. Great capture.

Thanks for the input. I noticed that after I uploaded, but I appreciate you pointing that out. I am also somehow bothered with the bush in the foreground being cut off at the bottom. I’ll try to keep this in mind both when I’m shooting and in post.

Thank you! There is so much here that is above my level, but I appreciated the encouragement in the information for anyone to comment on what speaks to them from an image.

Interesting scene. Like the environmental contrast between the sand dunes and mountains. I didn’t even notice the people until someone mentioned them. If they are a key factor in the photo, may want to crop in some, but just enough to make them more noticeable. Strictly a personal preference, I would like more detail and contrast in the mountains, but again, very much personal preference.

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts and might play around with those ideas.

Karla :iphone:

Karla: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. Mesquite Dunes is a wonderful place and this is a fine capture of it. Getting an image of this area without tracks and people is tough so why not embrace the challenge and use them as supportive elements. My only suggestion would be to crop some of the featureless sky. That’s pretty subjective but I would get rid of about half of it so that it takes up a smaller percentage of the frame. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of your work.>=))>

I really appreciate everyone’s welcome and input. I will definitely revisit the crop.

There was a windstorm early the next morning so I’m sure all the footprints were cleared out, but we were unable to stay longer.

Karla :iphone:

@Lanis_Ossman and @Bill_Fach I have uploaded a couple of changes bearing in mind your comments. Maybe in the long crop I should have left a little more sky. Otherwise, do they make any improvement at all or not really?