Morning Song

This female Red-winged Blackbird sings her song in the early morning while perched on a cattail.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D IV, 100-400 mm lens @ 400 mm, f 8.0, 1/1000, ISO 6400

1 Like

Beautiful image, Neil! Love the soft colors and lighting on her tail and such nice detail on her feathers and everything! Especially love that you caught her singing! She looks like she’s singing into a cattail microphone! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Great capture!

Thanks for the comments, Vanessa.

1 Like

I found the microphone a bit distracting. Might have tilted her so she was singing upwards.

Very good, Neil. The bird is very sharp and I like the pose. The light on the tail is wonderful.

Beautiful image and wonderful light! As a strong image, it could go either way, with or without the second cattail, but I find it adds a bit of subtle interest and humor.

Thanks for your comments Dennis.

Thanks Diane. I agree with you that it would work with or without the second cattail (there were others that I took out) but kind of liked it with as I think it adds a bit to the story.

Thanks for your perspective.

HI Neil
I read the comments before taking a good looks the our photograph and I am going with the mic. I think the cattail adds balance to the shot. Vary nice detail, lighting and action. Nice work.Peter

Thanks Peter. I agree, the second cattail adds some balance.

Lovely light, Neil and a great singing pose. I’d go for the mike as well. That said, I do not know how much space you had in in the original image, but if it were mine, I may be tempted to take a little from the top and have a bit more on the left, making it a 3:2 ratio. But that’s personal. Bottom line: wonderful image ! Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans. I have lots on all 4 sides so could easily change the crop. I’ll take another look at that.