Morning sun

These petite (approx. 1 1/4") columbines ( Nodding - Aquilegia canadensis - I think) grow in the shade of our oak trees. They are the first flowers to bloom in our garden and I so enjoy watching them in the morning sun. I was inspired to try to capture the moment.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is detailed good? How could I have compensated for the really bright highlights? Any and all other comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All suggestions and comments welcomed and appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, Tokina 100mm, f/11, 1.100sec., 140 ISO, 100mm. Some exposure compensation. Cropped just a bit in Photoshop.
(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Thank you.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Linda, they are really a treat. I can see why you enjoy watching them and it is always nice to see the first flowers showing up. To help on the highlights, sometimes a fill flash helps. Also, if you have one of those diffuser disc, and a way to have it held over the flower, it is like shooting in the shade. That is just a couple of ways that come to mind. Maybe someone else has a thought. You have a very nice background to make the subject pop, and I love the way the stem comes into the frame. Great shot.

The colours come out beautifully in this strong light, Linda - there is a real sense of the moment which makes this work extremely well for me. I feel maybe it would be good to see the flower a little higher in the frame, but that’s a subjective preference and by no means detracts from the quality of the capture of the flower.

Thank you Shirley. I’ll have to try fill flash and a diffuser next time the sun comes out. We’ve got clouds for the next several days. :worried:

Thanks for your thoughts Ian. I agree about having the flower higher in the frame, but between trying to get the right background and dealing with the wind. . …I did settle for this one. Hoping for a better angle next time.

I wouldn’t change a thing. Details are excellent and in this case I enjoy the lighting. Normally a bright/overcast day is the best to shoot flowers and water.

Thank you @Patricia_Brundage, I truly appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Linda: Wonderful lighting and comp of a beautiful subject. Superb image.>=))>

Thanks Bill. I totally enjoy these little columbines for the brief time they’re blooming. I appreciate your thoughts.