Columbine

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

With this unnaturally warm and nearly snowless winter in Minnesota, spring could be around the corner. I made this spring image in 2022 and went back to revisit it and did some reprocessing. It was a windy day and focus stacking was out of the question. I visioned that the blurry blooms added balance to the image. The geometry of the composition is a key element .

Creative direction

Do viewers think this image composition works? I burned in the leaves at BRC and added a spotlight on the lower right flower.

Specific Feedback

Does the image have aesthetic or emotional appeal?

Technical Details

Nikon D500 hand held - too difficult to get down low with the tripod in close quarters.

Description

Spring

I like the concept here, Larry, but the balance feels just a bit off to me. It feels like it needs just a bit more canvas on the left and maybe a touch more light in the lower right corner. Right now it feels completely dominated by the bright single bloom way out there by itself.

Hi Larry, well I enlarged your image and loved all the details you caught in that one flower, plus it stands out nicely against the dark background. Emotionally, it does make me look forward to Spring and I noticed today that my snowdrops are beginning to push through. I have to agree with @Dennis_Plank about the balance though. The lower right bloom needs to have more light, and be in focus, to provide a proper balancing effect.

Larry: Previously noted flaws aside, this is a nice scene. The light on the main flower is really nice and you might just crop aggressively to isolate it.

On an unrelated issue, you might want to resize your images before posting. Site guidelines recommend 2000 pixels on the long side. The site will downsize the image some but when it does detail is often lost. Full size images are also inviting targets for image thieves. >=))>

Thanks to all of you for your input. I agree with you all and have done a revision. I don’t consider this a great image, but your suggestions help. Have I added too much real estate on the left side? @Bill_Fach I will watch the dimensions in the future.

Thanks. Larry

Yes, a nice improvement! I really like the muted BG. You could also remove the diagonal stem in the LR corner that doesn’t obviously connect to anything.

I do love me a Columbine image! The red ones are hard to find up here in Montana, so this one is particularly nice for me. My thoughts are more about things you cant change now…and that is finding a different perspective while out there shooting. I wonder what it would have looked like to slide around to the left and get closer to that one thats in sharp focus and have the other two even more obscured in the bokeh? You you’d probably have had some compelling blurry leaves in the background too

Thanks, Diane. Consider that stem removed.

Thanks for your reply, Paul. You may not have many red columbines, but there is sure a lot to photograph in Montana. The spacing and wind made it real tough to move around. There’s always this coming spring’s blooms to shoot again.

1 Like