Motherly Love

Description: This Gray Fox vixen appears to be tolerating the constant demand of these two kits. When they are this small, they cling pretty closely to mom, probably in hopes of an easy meal.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is an excellent family moment, Terry. A major awwwww factor. Well presented.

Thanks, Mark. Everything is better when you start with a good moment!

It does have a major awww factor.

It is a little soft though. I wonder if you should consider a tripod when you go out there or is it too much to manage and not spook them? Tough call. I have dialed in my “Wildlife Mode” as a camera setting that’s easy to dial in for these kinds of grab shots. It defaults to shutter priority and 1/1000 second with auto ISO and a faster than usual focusing mode with animal detect. If that’s something you can do with your camera, it’s worth considering.

This is another photo I captured in 2017, I believe - just when I was starting to get serious about wildlife photography. I didn’t understand what went into taking a really good photo or, more importantly, the strengths and weaknesses of my equipment. I thought if you paid $500 for a lens, it ought to take exceptional photos up and down the focal range! The truth is, anything above 240 or 250mm, this lens begins to get really soft. And the camera is 10 years old; it doesn’t have auto detection of any kind. These are not excuses; they’re just a statement of fact. While a tripod would probably help, I think taking photos at this distance and trying to crop them heavily is futile. I have since learned to work within the abilities of the equipment - especially since joining NPN. That just requires I get closer to my subject, and that’s okay. Joining NPN has been a huge help to me in understanding all these things, thanks to the folks here who have offered critiques and advice.

Totally understood, Terry. We all have to start somewhere and shed our assumptions about photography. Maybe a hunting/photo blind. You could be stealthy!

I need a cloaking device! Seriously, I’ve thought a hundred times about a blind. But, now that I better understand the constraints of my equipment, I can get good shots if I’m just patient and approach it correctly.