Mushroom and leaf + rework

Rework

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have been rather non-active here at NPN for a while, mainly due to lack of inspiration regarding posting images as well as giving comments on other members images. Since I think this is an excellent community that have helped me a lot with my development as a ahobbyist photographer I will now become somewhat more active again:)

Also this autumn I participated in the same photo tour in Härjedalen, Sweden as I have done for the last 6 years visiting many times the same places as during previous occations. I think it is great for your development as a photographer to return to the same places many times and try to find new compositions and motives, this also during different conditions.

Here is a small scene of a mushroom and a leaf that I found to be attractive. This place at the creek TevĂĄn have many possibilities for this type of findings, and I have visited this site maybe ten times during these workshops.

Specific Feedback

I am rather happy with this image, but I always want to improve. So any comments regarding how this image could be improved are very welcome!

Technical Details

Olympus OM-D EM-1X with a 120 mm (equiv.) macro lens, ISO 400, f/8, 0.13 sec., tripod, cable release

The relationship of equals is the biggest impression I get with this. Even though both are small in reality, they are equal and big players in this small scene. Both are also dying back and soon we won’t see any visible parts of the larger organisms both come from. Not sure you intended all that, but it’s what I’m getting.

The square crop works for me, but the overall low contrast and muddy tonalities make me dwell on the processing more than I should. Looks like there’s a heavy vignette applied, too. Creating a darker, more subdued image can be done with higher contrast and snappiness, but it does take some work. Assuming that was a goal to begin with, but for me the lack of snap is at odds with the small details you present.

Nice to see you back again, too. I have missed your images. That said, I hope you don’t feel like you have to post or contribute if you don’t want to. Things wax and wane in our lives and enthusiasm for our hobbies does the same. Some days/weeks, I post and comment very little because probably anything I say won’t have the attention or focus that I should bring and so rather than give a half-hearted or lame response, I just sit and read and wait for the inspiration to return. I hope that wasn’t preachy, it wasn’t meant to be, just understanding the break you took.

Ola, so glad you were able to go on the photo tour. I have yet to do anything like that. I am sure it is a wonderful experience.

Such a neat find. I agree with @Kris_Smith comments. I think probably the scene was a bit dark, being in the woods where mushrooms grow, and so maybe that is what you are trying to portray. It always is left to the originator to determine what they are trying to express, so I sure don’t want to try to override that. It just seems (having not been at the scene when you photographed this), that it needs somewhat of a boost. Maybe some brush work to add some brightness and contrast in some areas of the subjects. Just a thought.

So good to see your work displayed here again. I also missed seeing you. There are a few missing that I used to enjoy their work. I guess we all get a low once in a while. I also like the square crop. Welcome back and looking forward to more of your images.

Welcome back Ola. I really love the composition you created here and I love the relatively dark image reflecting the location. I could see adding some pop to the main subjects, but for my taste it would have to be very subtle to keep it from looking contrived. I certainly wouldn’t go much brighter because you’d lose the richness of the colors in the leaf and mushroom.

Ola: Great to have you back on board. I like this pretty much as presented and especially like the comp and subject placement. A wonderful find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

@Kris_Smith , @Shirley_Freeman , @Dennis_Plank and @Bill_Fach thanks for your kind comments. Since the mushroom and the leaf are in a state of decay I wanted to keep the image somewhat unflashy. I understand that there is a balance between to achieve that with the risk of making the image boring and to make it pop more. I have included at the top a rework that pop a little bit more.

Great job on the repost, Ola. If I had seen it without the original, I would have considered it completely natural, yet it has just that extra bit that makes the subjects stand out. Well done!

1 Like

That little bit of punch adds so much - nice! I think we have so many tools and ways to interpret the scenes that fascinate us that we have almost infinite permutations!

1 Like

Oh yes, Ola. I like the little bit of punch, but not over done, Great job.

1 Like

Ola: :+1: :+1: for the repost. Top notch. >=))>

1 Like

Ola, you did very well to see this pairing, with it’s similar shapes and coordinated textures. Both views look very good. I like the overall similarities in tone and how the two subjects fit well with the surrounding moss. The extra contrast in the redo does give some extra “pop”, especially in the mushroom.

@Mark_Seaver thanks for your kind words. What you explain is what I felt when I spotted this combo.