My Favorite Songbird

When I hear the “Teakettle, Teakettle, Teakettle”, I know without a doubt the pint size Carolina Wren is singing its heart out. In the photo, it is sitting on my backyard fence watching a flock of Cedar Waxwings devastating the berry clusters at the end of my driveway, waiting patiently for the noisy crowd to leave.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cleared out a lot of the OOF bg scenery, which I felt was very distracting

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
40% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 45%

Here again, I used the technique of editing in layers, with the subject on the top layer and the BG being the bottom layer. I used the content aware remove and replace on the bottom layer to remove some ugly vegetation, followed by erasure with the history brush to remove the moved items. Works like a charm usually

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice, Phil. I like the lines of the fence and the wren is very good. There’s one bright blob and a tiny blip beside it along the bottom of the frame that are a bit of a distraction.

I need to buckle down and figure out what you’re doing with that content aware remove and replace. I don’t even know which tool that is.

OK, OK

The content aware move tool is on the drop down list behind the spot healing brush.

Thanks, Phil.

Hi Phil,

I like the lighting on this Carolina wren. Your edited version is the one I prefer…Jim

Nice end result. Looking at the large version, the bird is quite as sharp as I would expect, but could be from jpeg compression. Can’t tell.

Not sure why this wasn’t posted in Avian rather than Human & Fauna?

Because of the fence perch, Keith. Also, this was a 40% crop. Perhaps I could have made it a skoshe sharper.

Phil: For some reason this seems to be a common misconception about the guidelines for the Avian Gallery. Man made perches are fine in avian. Live baited birds are prohibited, captive birds should be posted in Non-Nature, but fence perches are just fine.

Thanks, Keith. Can you move this for me? Or should we leave it where it is and remember it the next time?

I like the progression/repetition of the posts and the brown color framing the bird. I really like these pretty little birds too. They are fun to watch.