My first California poppy

It’s poppy season in California and I have been looking at my poppy collection. This leads me to want to give a shout out to Robert S Johnson, a photographer in Boulder, CO, who years ago had an amazing website called Radiant Vista. I learned Photoshop through his free weekly tutorials. And I was inspired by his book Botanical Dreaming to buy a 100mm Canon Macro lens and start shooting hand held flower closeups. I developed a style of shooting at f 2.8 without a tripod and with the backround out of focus. This was my first “keeper” and has great sentimental value to me. It was shot holding the poppy in my left hand at arms legnth with green grass in the background.

2 Likes

Tony, I can see why this has such value to you. I have that lens, and need to get that a try. Kind of got stuck in the mode of keeping my twin flash on it. The colors in this is really nice, and I am enjoying the overall softness. Very nice.

Tony; I like is how I can see just a hint of texture in the lower portion of the poppy that is reflecting the green in the background. I love the abstract feel to it and look forward to more of your images.

Tony: 100mm macro lenses are a joy to use and you’ve certainly made good use of yours with this image. I like your comp and POV a lot. The only things that would make this better for me would be if the leading edge of the magenta ring was a touch sharper and I might also consider eliminating that small green triangle at the junction of the petals in the URC. Still a fine image and looking forward to more like it. >=))>

Very refreshing image, Tony - and interesting to read your account of its genesis. I think Bill has made a couple of good points but overall I love the simplicity of the green/yellow combination of shapes - rather like an abstract painting.

Tony
Soft flowers can be wonderful Tony and this one is no exception. Thank you for the genesis explanation.