My Morning Commute

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This caught my eye, so I had to pull over to grab some shots. Was it worth it?

Any pertinent technical details:

D500 70-200mm 2.8 @ 70mm and f 11 1/250sec ISO 100

Thanks for taking a look and all comments are appreciated!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jay, you certainly had a dramatic sky here and I can see what attracted you to this scene. Your processing of the sky and the foreground looks good too. While the clouds are interesting, I’m not sure they are dramatic enough to carry the image. I think there are good things going on with the fog along the mountain ridges, and I would like to have seen more of the trees and mountains included in the composition. The sky is strong enough to complement whats going on in the mountains, but in my opinion, not strong enough to deserve this much real estate in your composition. I hope you have some other images/crops where you can play with this a little.

Thanks for the feedback Ed. Maybe this one will end up as a background for Powerpoint - good use of all of the space in the clouds. I do have a few other comps that I can play with. Thanks again.

Jay, I would agree with Ed’s thoughts, but with this caveat: I think this would make a great B&W. Pull down the blue and cyan channels in the conversion layer and increase the contrast in another layer and see what you get? Just a thought, anyway.

I agree with Harley, my comments are pertain to a color image, but B&W is a totally different ball game.

Jay,

Most certainly a scene worth stopping for. I do like the tree and ridgeline and how they mimic each other; the clouds along the top of the ridge add a nice element.

Would agree with others that b&w might be the way to go and it might also provide the chance to increase the drama/contrast throughout. Worth a try anyway.

Lon