My New Friend

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Anna’s Hummingbird (Calypte Anna)

There’s a nearby wetlands area being managed by our water services. This past winter has been brutal on the area with 17 degree freezes and heavy flooding. Fortunately Spring is starting to bring back some life to the area.

I have seen this hummer four times in the last two weeks. The first time I got up close to him sitting on a limb and he dive bombed me, coming within a foot of my head. The second time, I came upon him sitting and got a few images. I thanked him (I always thank the cooperative birds)…and moved on. Later I saw him again. I was pretty sure it was the same one.

The third time, I saw him sitting, got close and took some shots, thanked him and moved on. He flew past me and set on another tree limb. As I approached I got some more shots, thanked him and moved on. He flew past me again and set on another tree limb. Of course I got some more shots including this one.

The fourth visit was similar. So I think I’ve got a new friend. I’ve heard that hummers are very social birds, and this one seems to have taken a liking to me. Cool.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. I know it’s a dull sky. Most of the bird was in focus except for a touch of his lower breast. So I hit that with a bit of texture to bring it out.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/2000sec @ f/8, ISO 1250

1 Like

Very cool, David. I wish our backyard male Anna’s would take a shine to me-maybe I need to talk to him more? You got a beautifully detailed image of this guy. I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Hi David,

It is nice to get cooperation from the subject and this guy provided you with a nice portrait. Details are nice and always wish for better lighting for the gorget. The details and puffed up feathers provide enough features to grab the eye. Well done. I tried a layer with shadow and Highlights followed with a little brightness & contrast which perked up the greens. Overall, I do not think that the edit added much to the overall comp so I’ll take this one as presented…Jim

Hi David,
Nice detailed catch with subtle colors in the soft light. A fine image.
Maybe he is taking a shine to you. The ones around my house can’t tolerate each other around the feeder. They do like buzzing my head at times though.
Nice portrait with good DOF.

@Kris_Smith, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Zablotny, and @Allen_Sparks thank you for the comments and likes. I appreciate them.

I hope to spend more time improving my Hummingbird photography this spring.

Thanks again,
David

A wonderful portrait!! I hope we’ll get to see more of these close-ups – what a nice opportunity!