My sideline

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So it’s been a crap winter and I’ve revived my jewelry business again and so a BIG part of that is product photography. I have NO experience with studio work and am struggling to figure out how to minimize reflections, yet show that I do, in fact, polish my pieces highly when that’s what I’m going for.

Specific Feedback

So…I guess I’m looking for ideas. I really don’t want to go crazy with a whole studio set up, but would like to utilize natural light for most of the shots. Not only is it easier, but it’s in line with the aesthetic that Etsy goes for and promotes. But, I’m willing to get some input from you guys. This is a recent set of shots for a new product.

Technical Details

Mostly these are shot in manual with a lot of leaning toward high key. I also edit them with a similar vibe in mind. Lightroom for that as always.

HOWEVER - they do need to show the product as it is and not misrepresent color or finish etc.

Tripod, my G9 and 45mm f/2.8 Leica macro. Various reflectors sometimes and my LED panel light when needed. It’s crazy and I have everything basically strewn all over the guest room for most of the time.

Cool! A good winter project. I think the top one shows the geometry best and looks very natural with nice shadows. The fabric is a nice BG and simple window light is hard to beat. With such complex shapes it might be effective to use a polarizer and shoot 2-3 with different orientations of it for the different pieces (or different parts of each one) and mask the best of each. The top one is more balanced with a little taken off the top. I like the suggestion of a vine tip. Maybe intertwine the two?

I like the compositions of the first and second ones the most, Kris. I’m wondering about a more contrasting background for the silver? For the reflections off the jewelry putting something with noticeable texture, like a nice wood grain in a position to be reflected might be cool. That’s about all I can think of at the moment.

Do you have a soft-light box? I’m not sure that’s the official name, but it’s a box with one side open, the other sides made of light-diffusing fabric. You could make your own, but they don’t look very expensive and they’re not high tech.

BTW, I love those earrings. Do you have a “storefront”?

Here’s an example on Amazon (click image for link):

Hey guys, thanks. I have been pulled in so many directions lately that I am having a hard time keeping my photographer hat in place.

I do have a lightbox, but not necessarily something like what you show @Bonnie_Lampley - that looks to just soften daylight and I might try that. The one I have actually has LED lights inside. I like it, but it’s harsh sometimes.

I’ve tried using darker backgrounds and I haven’t liked them much, @Dennis_Plank - but I can try again. I have a gray bit of fabric that I could try. There is actually hammered texture in the earrings so I don’t know how anything would look there. I’ll have to think about it.

And the fabric is just a placemat @Diane_Miller funnily enough. They’re heavier and drape well without wrinkles and stuff. I hadn’t thought about a polarizer either - DOH! Will have to give that a try. I have some hoops in the tumbler that I could try that with when they come out.

Oh and yes, I sell on Etsy only right now. I’ve tried other platforms and it’s just too much work and so I burned out about 3 years ago as a result. This should be fun and keeping up with too many stores isn’t fun. I’ll PM anyone who wants the address since I don’t want to abuse the NPN forum.