Mystery Bird

I shot this yesterday late afternoon in the sweet light. I have tried to ID him, so far, have come up short. Hopefully someone here will recognize it. Appreciate it, and all comments. Thanks for viewing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any. I cropped this down probably 50% to removed some unwanted limbs and make a better composition as well as bring the little fellow in closer.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600 mm lens at 600mm, handheld. Settings manual except ISO (auto) at f8, 1/1250, ISO 640. Edited in LR and Topaz.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the composition with the oof leaves in the background against the blue sky. It’s an interesting perch with the twisting branches and the pose and sharpness of the bird is good. Not sure what species this is, looks like something out of the flycatcher group. Merlin ID’s it as an Eastern Phoebe, but it doesn’t match the photos or drawings in my books. Where was this taken?

Thank you, Allen. It was taken in Saint Pauls, North Carolina, which is at the southern part of the state, about an hour and a half from the Atlantic Ocean. I thought that it looked like it was in the flycatcher group too, but couldn’t find one quite like it.

Shirley, I ran this by the best birder I know and he agrees with Merlin, an Eastern Phoebe.

1 Like

I have no idea what it is, Shirley, but it’s sure a pretty little thing! I like how it’s cradled by the upturned branches as if they were a hand. Nice clean shot with excellent detail and a perfect exposure too.

1 Like

Yep, Eastern phoebe. Many overwinter in Southern US and move back up North in early March. Good shot as they are usually perched in uncanny places that defy good camera technique. The BG is especially nice. Happy Thanksgiving…Jim

1 Like

Wonderful color and detail. I am enjoying the BG. I agree it looks like a flycatcher.

1 Like

A lovely image, Shirley. Flycatchers are really tough to ID, so I’ll go with Jim and Allen. I particularly like the perch and background in this image. Excellent work.

1 Like

Yes, definitely an Eastern Phoebe. Nice shot with a lot more yellow than I am used to seeing down here in Florida this time of year. They are neat to watch as they leave their perch and hover in a swarm of bugs.

Thank you Dave. It was late afternoon, so I think that made him appear more yellow. Thank you for the confirmation on the ID.