Phoebe Flycatcher

I looked out the window a couple of days ago, and this little guy was sitting on our shepherd’s pole. I grabbed my camera and shot through the window.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you might see that would improve the shot.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot through the window with Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 150-600 mm, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 640.

2 Likes

Wonderful capture, Shirley, and very quick thinking on your part. The OOF background complements this little fellow very nicely. The composition works nicely with the clean lines and arched support. Just thinking, perhaps crop either from the left, allowing the support to “come into the scene.” Or try a square crop, centering the bird and the support? Great detail in the feather and love the inquisitive look. Very nicely done.

Thank you, Linda. That certainly is a nice thought. I may try the crop from the left.

Wonderful sharpness and detail! It looks like it was an open window – I doubt you could get this much detail through glass. I love the sweet pose and for me, the crop works well for the perch. My only nit is that there is a brownish cast – the head should be black. Neutralizing it takes away some of the eye-catching quality but I think there would be leeway for some subsequent color saturation.

1 Like

Very good, Sirley.i like the composition with the curved perch. Since you didn’t specify which species of Phoebe this is, I can’t tell if the colors are accurate, though I think they could be for where you live.

Wonderful capture, Shirley! Love the details you got. And I love how the background compliments his pretty yellow and brown colorations.

Thank you all. @Diane_Miller, It was through glass, and I haven’t cleaned the windows this fall (waiting for them to harvest the field of soybeans because of the dust it kicks up). I have found that the windows don’t have to be squeaky clean, as the camera is focusing on the subject way beyound the window.

The Phoebe Flycatcher is from the east coast (North Carolina), and so @Dennis_Plank and Diane, the colors are accurate. It’s head wasn’t black.

I too loved the way the BG complimented the bird’s colors, @Vanessa_Hill.

Thank you all very taking the time to view and comment. Much appreciated.

My apologies! I should have looked up the bird. This is yet another example of how often a bird’s colors fit with the BG in a picture. It seemed too good to be true, but it obviously was… :grinning:

1 Like

Wow! Now I’m even more impressed. The way you wrote your description made me think you had shot through glass… great work!

1 Like

Impressive sharpness for shooting through a window. I really enjoy the composition.

1 Like