Naples Swamp 1

This pond is on the property of my home in Naples, FL where I was born. The recent hurricane opened the thick growth that was hiding it. I have owned the house since 2005 and did not know it was there.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I always vacillate back and forth between B&W and Color.

Technical Details

Lumix S5

1 Like

Color Version

Hi Steve, this is co cool. I have to say that on initial look I was reminded of those old B&W Tarzan movies. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Pano treatment is terrific. Nothing to improve upon in my view. And the B&W works for me.

Steve,

B&W is pretty chaotic for me, but for sure the color version makes a world of difference. With the color I’m able to distinguish some important elements - the overhanging limb (nicely included, sharp, etc.), the water plants on the left, the calm water and the funky roots/trees in the center - everything balanced and distinquished pretty well. No further suggestions on the color.

IMHO anyway, it’s so, so difficult in a chaotic scene like this to just have shades of white, gray and black be able to separate the elements. At least with a scene like this. IMHO.

Lon

1 Like

I really enjoy the story of discovering this scene as a result of the chaotic storms. Now you know where all that frog singing comes from. By treating the scene in B&W you had some options for treating all that green, and your result still conveyed the lavish detail, while, for me, making it easier for my eyes to travel around. The arching branch is a terrific frame.
I found myself wanting to be able to focus more on the center of the scene so I played a bit. First sharpening with Topaz, then a cooling filter, then increasing contrast in the center area, finally fiddling with the main bright leaves in the center.