Natures Harsh Reality!

The weather is still very cloudy, and number of insects showing up is very small. This was forcing me to use the flash, with a home made diffuser.

Came across this Weevil. They were infested with tiny red ticks, or mites. I don’t know. I concentrated on getting them in focus.
The larger version may seem oversharpened. Not really, they are the scales on the weevils body.

Harsh reality of Nature !!

6DII, 70-200 F4L, Raynox DCR, ISO200, 1/80, F20.

Balan Vinod

Balan, you sure captured the harshness of nature, for sure. I am amazed at how you managed to capture the ticks or mites on a Weevil, which in itself is pretty small. I think you did a fine job in sharpness, as well as lighting. I had never given it a thought before that a Weevil would have pest, like we have mosquitoes, etc. A fine macro shot, Balan. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Wow, amazing photo Balan. Not sure I’ve ever seen (or want to) a Weevil, but the little red guys (whoever they are) I have seen riding on various insects and plants around here. Very nicely done.

This is a fascinating shot, Balan. The red “bugs” bugging the big bug stand out well. Yes, the way nature repeats itself at all sizes is totally fascinating. (If you had a microscope, you might very well find smaller critters attached to the red ones…) Well seen.

Fascinating subject with the parasites on it. I guess no one is free from them including the insects. I very much like the selective lighting that shines on the insect alone. Diagonal composition works very well. Well done with good use of lighting.

Balan: Just goes to prove that there are interesting photo subjects almost anywhere we look. Really nice find and a terrific capture. I especially like the lighting. Really well done.>=))>

A really nice and fascinating image, Balan. Very clear and sharp too. I just wondered if you cropped some of the bottom off (so that the twig just disappears off the bottom of the left edge rather than off the bottom edge I think it might perhaps balance compositionally. But a small detail. It is a strong image also because the red bugs are so big compared to their host; it brought the unwelcome thought of being covered in blood suckers at that relative size and being unable to get them off!!!

I very much like the clair-obscur you obtained with your flash and diffuser with only a hint of background. The red mites really pop against the dark insect. Nicely done.