"Nearing Lichtenstein"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single 24mm Tilt-Shift shot…1/40 second @ F/22, ISO 100.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice composition. Wonderful foreground with with some nice leading lines. Relative to the foreground, water, and trees, the sky feels quite uninteresting. Not much contrast in those gray clouds, I guess. I’m not sure if there’s anything that could add textures to the sky, but doing so would help it balance better with the rest of the scene, I think.

Thanks Tony! Yes, the non-descript sky was a challenge in editing this shot, as the clouds completely covered the mountain in the background. So I gave it a another go…on the sky…to freshen it up a bit, and I agree that it needed something.!

It took a bit of time understanding that you’re standing on an edge with roots on it. It could be said that there is an issue that there is no continuity between the fg and bg. This is even more so because they are of two different color schemes. The eye sort of goes from one to the other and back again as though looking at 2 different images. Of course, you could argue that that’s the point of the design - but I’m not sure it was.

Thanks Igor. Yah, it’s not one of my favorite shots. I normally don’t like or post midday shots anyway, because I find the light boring and challenging to edit. Thanks for your thoughts on this :slight_smile:

I’ve spent a fair amount of time with this image. It is very structured. Each part of the image is wonderful in its own right. It really is very well done; precise fore, stellar reflection all pointing to the cloud shrouded mountain. The sky rework, though subtle, is an improvement. It’s almost as if each third of the image was processed separately and they fail to merge cohesively. I can’t really put my finger on it. At any rate, it’s a fine image and a nice addition to your other postings.

The composition is very interesting, especially in the way the shape and arrangement of the clouds echo the “tiered” approach (not sure if this is the right word) to the layers of element here. I do find the processing has the HDR look (the tonemapping I guess) and that bothers me a little bit.

1 Like

Thanks you guys. There are times where you feel it would be best to start over, and completely re-edit a photo. Seems like everybody is having the same reaction to the processing, but I 'm glad I posted it…so I can learn from it :wink: TX