No. 9+

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like it’s mystery. I’m not sure about the aspect ratio.

Creative direction

I’m trying to convey mystery through darkness and light.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked

Description

This is the same subject as No. 9 except more context is being provided. Here the subject is recognizable. This is the interior of a burned redwood tree,

I’ve always been asking myself whether nature’s architecture of clouds, rocks or mountains, shores or trees was a coincidence. When I think how most of the human body makes wondrous sense I tend to think it is not. And even the fire that in its way contributed to the shape, surface, color, and texture of this redwood tree might make sense in light of a greater plan or flow, whatever you might believe. This is the mystery I see in this. I might prefer the image to be a tad darker (or at least the center), but I see and feel the mystery already in this version. I tried thinking about the photograph as a square, but I would not know which part to sacrifice. I would not want to either.

1 Like

I like it’s mystery, too, Igor!
The aspect ratio seems good to me, I tried other crop ratios but this one seemed to work best IMHO.

I think you’ve achieved your goal.

I appreciate the added context, the subject being recognizable removes the need for me to imagine what it is and thereby leaves me free to concentrate on the emotional value.

I know you asked for an in depth review instead of an initial reaction but for me, it’s not so much about the technical details or the concept, this one is more about the relationship between life and death, and for me, this image shows resilience, a strong will to live and that comes from the core that’s wrapped by the outer shell.
I don’t know the true extent of damage caused by the fire or if this tree will succumb to it’s wounds but it just feels like the tree has somehow survived the traumatic experience, at least that’s what I prefer to imagine.

As a side note and I do not mean to convey any disrespect, but for me I had to crop off the wide white border so I could “See” the dark tree without feeling blocked by the surrounding brightness.
I noticed on another one of your images a while back where it was dark and the border was more of a taupe color, that one was easier for me to be able to feel the essence of the image better but I’m sure it’s just me.
That said, your brighter images seem to work with the white borders and it’s not a big deal for me, I can always crop the border off when it does effect my being able to see it.

I was compelled to connect with this image! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comments. I saw this more as a green flame emanating from the central darkness. You, however, see the tree surviving from a central injury. In fact, you are closer to factual truth. Redwoods, as I understand it have a strategy of surviving wildfires by growing around the burned area. You will often see redwoods with a burned center and in fact you may see redwoods growing in a ring that initially had redwoods in the center. That, at least, is something I remember from a ranger during a walk in the Santa Cruz area.

For me this is about mystery, but also about texture. So, I would remove that green filament at the base. Or rather, I would like to know why you didn’t, as to my eye it distracts from an otherwise gripping shot.

Igor, I love the beauty in nature as you bring it in your images. Adjust enjoy !

1 Like

I like the subtle, but intense colors in the central portion of the image. Also the imperfect symmetry caught my eye. If this were mine, I would not want to alter anything in this photo…Jim

It’s hard to say because all I see is this but I think that the aspect ratio feels just about right for this image. I really love the green “flame”.

I see this as the center section receding back into the tree. Now that you describe the green flame, I see that, but it wasn’t obvious at first. Maybe if you lighten the “flame” just the tiniest bit it would be more apparent.

I really have to apologize for the original image. It was not in focus. I uploaded one of the bracketed images instead of the merged image. Im surprised nobody noticed. I have now replaced it with the sharp image.

Igor, I absolutely love these kinds of images. I have taken hundreds over the past three years or so and have posted none until yesterday. I felt like I was emotionally drawn to these types of images but I could never really convey why. They are almost all redwood tree trunks as they have such incredible texture, color shape, and mystery, because all of the shots that I took were of burnt out tree bark. These trees thrive in fire and in fact they need fire to reproduce. Their seeds will not open until fire comes through and that seed only opens up after the seed reaches a certain temperature. So you can see how important fire is for these trees to survive and why any tree over a few hundred years old has fire scars on it. Those scars amaze me and they seem to tell a story.

To me, your image is more about texture, color and shape and how they co-mingle together in darkness and shadow creating mood and mystery. Although I didn’t initially see the green section in the center of the image as a flame, I can certainly see how this could be perceived as a flame of renewal and the giver of life because of the color. I believe in the past you have used almost black frames for these kinds of dark and moody images and I think this image could use a darker frame to better convey the mystery.
I have to say that I love this image as is and wouldn’t crop or play any adjustments other than to possibly dodge that green flame ever so slightly. I’ll have to go and take a look at your other images that I’ve missed over the past several months. I’ve had a lengthy absence. In the past 5 months I’ve had camera in hand 1 day for about 4 hours, all in one place, but oh what a place it was. The redwoods during the rhododendron bloom. The best I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

I’ve never photographed rhoddies in those forests. Always too late when I show up. Although there were a few this year.

Glad to see this rings a bell with you. I’ve got several more from this year. Looking forward to seeing yours. I should post mine before leaving for Alaska. I don’t think this is everyone’s cup of tea so I’ve backed off. They’re all pretty dark too.

Love the textures and colors Igor. It definitely looks like a green flame to me. If this were a real green flame it would be caused by copper salts (sorry, that is the chemist in me).

@Eva_McDermott, @Merv, @David_Haynes, @Tom_Nevesely, @Mike_Friel, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Bonnie_Lampley, @holgermischke

Thank you for your comments.

I can see a square crop or at least some removal from the top. However, the strong verticals suggest an portrait aspect ratio.

You’re probably right. I like to have a border but am tired of adjusting it for each image. I just used the border from previous upload.

The green filament was what first attracted me to take this picture.

Thanks.

Too funny.