North Tract, Patuxent Research Refuge

This is an early spring look at the Skunk Cabbage growing in one of the many wetlands that make up the North Tract of the Patuxent Research Refuge, National Wildlife facility. Skunk Cabbage lives in wet areas and is the first plant to green up in late winter/early spring. When everything else is still pretty drab, it really takes on a green glow, as seen here. (5D3, 24-105 @ 38, 1/30 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod and polarizer)

1 Like

Quite lovely and very spring-y. I tried for a similar shot this spring, but the light was wrong and some other things as well. Nicely done.

Mark, this light is perfect on the Skunk Cabbage. The dark tree trunks provide a nice contrast.
I tried a couple scroll crops from the bottom towards a pano to eliminate the open area on the left. But I like it here as you’ve presented it… :+1:
BTW: this looks like a mosquito haven. I’d probably bleed out before I got back to the vehicle… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I like everything about this especially the wonderful light and contrasting trees. My first reaction was a crop from the left to eliminate the left edge skunk cabbage to match the upper right. Not a good idea. Great as posted.

Amazing stuff! I love the patch of blue sky reflection.