Peepers pond

While it may not be obvious, this early spring view of Peepers pond at the Patuxent Research Refuge is two horizontal shots stitched together vertically. I needed to do this because my 24 -105 zoom would not let me get both the green moss and grasses in the foreground, the tall snag on the left and the arching tree towards the left in a single shot. Shifting the camera to vertical would get the arching tree, but not the tall snag. This stitched view lets the blue sky and the greens in the foreground dominate the view. As an aside, the stitching comes out very differently in Lightroom vs Photoshop. (5D3, 24-105 @ 24, 1/50 s & 1/250 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod)

Mark: Looks like a seamless stitch and good capture of the light. I have to admit that the snag on the left edge pulls my eye away from the reflections and I’m having a hard time ignoring it. Everything else works well for me. >=))>

Mark, I did a double take on this one, because it reminds me of a scene just down the road from my house. But closer viewing, it is obviously a much better scene. We don’t have that nice moss to lead the eye into the image, for one thing. You sure did a wonderful job capturing the 2 images and stitching them. I will have to remember that, when my 24-105 won’t let me get quite everything I want into the photo. Usually, when I think of stitching, I think of panoramas, and have done some of that before. Great shot.

Hi Mark, a very pleasing composition and well-stitched, no evidence of that happening. Love the foreground moss and leaves, they really help to add depth to the entire scene. As to the snag, it sort of dominates the left side and I’m not sure it contributes much to the overall scene. Perhaps a couple of shorter snags on the other side would have provided some balance and interest, but we have to work with whatever nature gives us :slightly_smiling_face: . A very peaceful scene!